Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > spoolsv.exe & svchost.exe & internet

spoolsv.exe & svchost.exe & internet

This is my real name, really.

I run windows XP home edition. I use a cable modem, but am otherwise
not connected to a LAN, and no other computer uses my printer. When I
boot up spoolsv.exe asks for permission to connect to the internet. Is
there any reason it needs to connect to the internet? (My firewall is
Zone Alarm Pro 4.5).

On a similar note, does svchost.exe need to connect to the internet?
Seems like there could be a need for it, although I don't have the
expertise to know just what. Anyway, I don't want applications
connecting unnecessarily. Thanks for any help.

Mimic

"This is my real name, really." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I run windows XP home edition. I use a cable modem, but am otherwise
> not connected to a LAN, and no other computer uses my printer. When I
> boot up spoolsv.exe asks for permission to connect to the internet. Is
> there any reason it needs to connect to the internet? (My firewall is
> Zone Alarm Pro 4.5).
>
> On a similar note, does svchost.exe need to connect to the internet?
> Seems like there could be a need for it, although I don't have the
> expertise to know just what. Anyway, I don't want applications
> connecting unnecessarily. Thanks for any help.

You should find they are just looping back on 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 or
summink
its all good.

--
Mimic