Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Real-Time Network monitoring

Real-Time Network monitoring

Damjan

Hi!

I'm wondering, if somewhere exist some tool, that can monitor tcp/ip over
all network one ane computer? I use switch and have 5 computers in network.
Can I monitor traffic during them on my box?

Greets

Hairy One Kenobi

"Damjan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsBsSb.3242$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering, if somewhere exist some tool, that can monitor tcp/ip over
> all network one ane computer? I use switch and have 5 computers in

network.
> Can I monitor traffic during them on my box?

Ethereal is a good Freeware sniffer, but they'll all have problems with a
switch (this directs traffic directly between [generally] two ports and
prevents the traffic from being monitored).

A hub will work just fine, if you don't have the sort of high-end switch
that directly supports sniffing.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Grunt

"Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> seems to think in
news:HNtSb.13832$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Damjan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsBsSb.3242$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm wondering, if somewhere exist some tool, that can monitor tcp/ip
>> over all network one ane computer? I use switch and have 5 computers
>> in

> network.
>> Can I monitor traffic during them on my box?

> Ethereal is a good Freeware sniffer, but they'll all have problems
> with a switch (this directs traffic directly between [generally] two
> ports and prevents the traffic from being monitored).
>
> A hub will work just fine, if you don't have the sort of high-end
> switch that directly supports sniffing.

Windows NT server has a network monitor application included that will
monitor and filter any packet on the local machine.

The driver must be installed.

Windows SMS includes a "promiscuous mode" driver that will sniff packets on
the entire LAN.

--
-- ipgrunt

Lawrence Rodis

Grunt,

As Hairy stated promiscuous mode only works on data that gets put on that
line. With real switches traffic between two PC will not be seen by a
third.

--
Regards,

Lawrence A. Rodis
President
Strategic Resource Consulting Group L.L.C.
www.strategicresource.com

"Grunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> seems to think in
> news:HNtSb.13832$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > "Damjan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsBsSb.3242$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I'm wondering, if somewhere exist some tool, that can monitor tcp/ip
> >> over all network one ane computer? I use switch and have 5 computers
> >> in

> > network.
> >> Can I monitor traffic during them on my box?

> > Ethereal is a good Freeware sniffer, but they'll all have problems
> > with a switch (this directs traffic directly between [generally] two
> > ports and prevents the traffic from being monitored).
> >
> > A hub will work just fine, if you don't have the sort of high-end
> > switch that directly supports sniffing.
> >

> Windows NT server has a network monitor application included that will
> monitor and filter any packet on the local machine.
>
> The driver must be installed.
>
> Windows SMS includes a "promiscuous mode" driver that will sniff packets

on
> the entire LAN.
>

> --
> -- ipgrunt

Damjan

> Grunt,
>
> As Hairy stated promiscuous mode only works on data that gets put on that
> line. With real switches traffic between two PC will not be seen by a
> third.

To see traffic between 2 computers with a third must I have some kind of
router? Am I correct?

Greets

Hairy One Kenobi

"Damjan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2zUSb.3684$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Grunt,
> >
> > As Hairy stated promiscuous mode only works on data that gets put on

that
> > line. With real switches traffic between two PC will not be seen by a
> > third.

> To see traffic between 2 computers with a third must I have some kind of
> router? Am I correct?

The exact opposite (in complexity & cost terms) - a common-or-garden hub is
what you need.

There's almost certainly an exception out there somewhere, but every SOHO
router that I've come across includes a switch, rather than a hub.

H1K

Damjan

> The exact opposite (in complexity & cost terms) - a common-or-garden hub
is
> what you need.
>
> There's almost certainly an exception out there somewhere, but every SOHO
> router that I've come across includes a switch, rather than a hub.
>
> H1K

Do the hub have buil-in firewall and monitoring tools, or how can I wiht hub
monitoring traffic that is between other computers?

Greets

Bit Twister

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:58:41 +0100, Damjan wrote:

> Do the hub have buil-in firewall and monitoring tools, or how can I wiht hub
> monitoring traffic that is between other computers?

a hub is the cheapest/no feature pice of hardware.
It is dumb. When you ping one of your systems, the hub brodcasts the
ping to all the ports on the hub. When it does that and the other
systems try to talk to someone else they have to back off and wait
until the line is clear.

A switch is a litle smarter. It sends the ping to the target machine
and the other boxes can talk to other machines connected to the switch
at the same time.

Now your router, has the most brains. The features on the router will
depend on the bucks you want to pay with.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Bit Twister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:58:41 +0100, Damjan wrote:
>
> > Do the hub have buil-in firewall and monitoring tools, or how can I wiht

hub
> > monitoring traffic that is between other computers?

> a hub is the cheapest/no feature pice of hardware.
> It is dumb. When you ping one of your systems, the hub brodcasts the
> ping to all the ports on the hub. When it does that and the other
> systems try to talk to someone else they have to back off and wait
> until the line is clear.
>
> A switch is a litle smarter. It sends the ping to the target machine
> and the other boxes can talk to other machines connected to the switch
> at the same time.
>
> Now your router, has the most brains. The features on the router will
> depend on the bucks you want to pay with.

(The main point being that what is destined for Machine A [as sent by
machine B] is never seen by Machine C. If Machine C is running your sniffer,
then it's not going to see an awful lot..)

HTH

H1K

Damjan

> (The main point being that what is destined for Machine A [as sent by
> machine B] is never seen by Machine C. If Machine C is running your

sniffer,
> then it's not going to see an awful lot..)
>
> HTH
>
> H1K

On that example.. it is imposible to monitor traffic on machine C?