Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Explorer AutoComplete

Explorer AutoComplete

General Specific

My boss found his Internet Explorer autocomplete cache was full of
really disturbing search terms. He would type a g in the Yahoo search
box and the autocomplete menu would open showing disgusting and illegal
serch terms.

I know that there are scripts which can add sites to your favorites that
you've never visited. Are there scripts that fill your autocomplete
cache or does this have to originate from your keyboard.

Lawrence Rodis

I'm sure it is possible but mostl likely it originated from a person using
his PC. Spyware like Spectorsoft could be used to determine when it is
being done.

I installed some software on a Owners pc for the same reason and caught his
teenage son scoping out porn.

--
Regards,

Lawrence A. Rodis
President
Strategic Resource Consulting Group L.L.C.
www.strategicresource.com

"General Specific" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5WURb.372$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My boss found his Internet Explorer autocomplete cache was full of
> really disturbing search terms. He would type a g in the Yahoo search
> box and the autocomplete menu would open showing disgusting and illegal
> serch terms.
>
> I know that there are scripts which can add sites to your favorites that
> you've never visited. Are there scripts that fill your autocomplete
> cache or does this have to originate from your keyboard.

General Specific

"Lawrence Rodis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:go0Sb.1493$(E-Mail Removed) k.net:

> I'm sure it is possible but mostl likely it originated from a person
> using his PC. Spyware like Spectorsoft could be used to determine
> when it is being done.
>
> I installed some software on a Owners pc for the same reason and
> caught his teenage son scoping out porn.

The problem is that the search queries were for illegal porn if you get my
drift.

The terms were so specific as to rule out his kids.

I was looking to verify if this could be done automatically because, if
not, he is calling the police.

Since I can't find one other instance of someone's finding the autocomplete
cache filled this way, I have to conclude that it was keystrokes.