Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.

Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.

Careers

The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
implemented properly.

http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm

Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.

--
Wojtek
Network Security Consultant

---

Rowdy Yates

very true. but that goes without saying for almost anything. if it ain't
implemented properly, it's not very secure is it.

"Careers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%ZDRb.308$SY3.65565
@read2.cgocable.net:

> The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
> implemented properly.
>

> http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm
>
> Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.

--
Rowdy Yates
I am Against-TCPA
http://www.againsttcpa.com

Ford Prefect

Careers wrote:
> The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
> implemented properly.

You seem to have an acute grasp of the patently obvious.

> http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm
>
> Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.

If your network security suggestions are as uselss as your information
privacy ramblings, I'll look else where.

Jim Watt

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:09:37 -0500, "Careers"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
>implemented properly.

Spamming newsgroups will not generate sales leads.

Where is Canada anyway? its not part of the EU

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Leonard Agoado

"Careers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

No, it is most certainly not.

Replace "certified" with "alleged to be"

Len Agoado

Lawrence Rodis

Actually anything using 801.11x or WEP is not secure. WEP can be broken in
minutes, and 11.x is vulnerable to replay attacks.

Only secure solution is one that forces a VPN between the client and the AP
or if you want setup the VPN between the client and a VPN device on the
network.

Watchgard and Sonicwall both offer these devices. Others may have now as
well. I like the Sonicwall better because of some of the extra features
they have.

--
Regards,

Lawrence A. Rodis
President
Strategic Resource Consulting Group L.L.C.
702-221-6274
(E-Mail Removed)
www.strategicresource.com

"Leonard Agoado" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FQSRb.732$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "Careers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> No, it is most certainly not.
>
> Replace "certified" with "alleged to be"
>
> Len Agoado
> (E-Mail Removed)

Roaming Penguin

Perhaps WEP is capable of being broken in minutes;
Individuals should educated themselves when buying a wireless router,
and fully learn all the capabilities of such a device before using it.

Now with 256bit encryption; HEX
MAC Filters properly enabled;
LAN Ping Discarded, and ALL un-used modes disabled (Gaming, VPN)

Chances of someone braking in your wireless network is greatly
reduced. I am still waiting to see the day when someone cracks mine.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:01:42 GMT, "Lawrence Rodis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Actually anything using 801.11x or WEP is not secure. WEP can be broken in
>minutes, and 11.x is vulnerable to replay attacks.
>
>Only secure solution is one that forces a VPN between the client and the AP
>or if you want setup the VPN between the client and a VPN device on the
>network.
>
>Watchgard and Sonicwall both offer these devices. Others may have now as
>well. I like the Sonicwall better because of some of the extra features
>they have.

Ben Measures

Roaming Penguin wrote:
> Chances of someone braking in your wireless network is greatly
> reduced. I am still waiting to see the day when someone cracks mine.

If your cracker is good you won't

--
Ben M.

What are Software Patents for?