Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > zonealarm alerts

zonealarm alerts

Phil Da Lick!

ZA has alterted me twice within the last week that internet explorer is a
changed program. I have not run any windows update in that time.

My system is completely up to date, as are my NAV 2003 virus definitions.
NAV reports no viruses.

Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on. Has my system been
compromised? (its not this one :>). My usual procedure under circumstances
like this is to immediately reformat the lot via an msdos startup disk and
reinstall from scratch but since I converted to ntfs I can't do that.
Grr.... That's a mistake I won't be making again.

Cheers,

Phil.

Kerodo

Phil Da Lick! wrote:
> ZA has alterted me twice within the last week that internet explorer is a
> changed program. I have not run any windows update in that time.
>
> My system is completely up to date, as are my NAV 2003 virus definitions.
> NAV reports no viruses.
>
> Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on. Has my system been
> compromised? (its not this one :>). My usual procedure under circumstances
> like this is to immediately reformat the lot via an msdos startup disk and
> reinstall from scratch but since I converted to ntfs I can't do that.
> Grr.... That's a mistake I won't be making again.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil.

When I used ZA Pro 4.xx, I found that it gave a lot of false alerts
about program components changing and so on. It was fairly annoying at
times. I just ignored it most of the time, but that sort of defeats the
purpose of the firewall. Anyway, I've since changed to Kerio 2.1.5 and
I'm a lot happier now.

Phil Da Lick!

"Kerodo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Phil Da Lick! wrote:
> > ZA has alterted me twice within the last week that internet explorer is

> > changed program. I have not run any windows update in that time.
> >
> > My system is completely up to date, as are my NAV 2003 virus

definitions.
> > NAV reports no viruses.
> >
> > Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on. Has my system been
> > compromised? (its not this one :>). My usual procedure under

circumstances
> > like this is to immediately reformat the lot via an msdos startup disk

and
> > reinstall from scratch but since I converted to ntfs I can't do that.
> > Grr.... That's a mistake I won't be making again.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Phil.
> >

> When I used ZA Pro 4.xx, I found that it gave a lot of false alerts
> about program components changing and so on. It was fairly annoying at
> times. I just ignored it most of the time, but that sort of defeats the
> purpose of the firewall. Anyway, I've since changed to Kerio 2.1.5 and
> I'm a lot happier now.

Hmmm I still think a reinstall is warranted. A new hdd will do the trick
with a plug in jobby on the old one to ghet my data files off.

As for your comments about ZA it isn't IMO as good as it was. I'll give
Kerio a try. Thanks for the tip.

interesting alerts on Zonealarm recently - what do I do? Paul Computer Security 2 11-29-2006 07:38 PM
Inbox alerts Ralph Firefox 4 09-20-2005 02:35 AM
How to setup IDS & PIX to send the alerts to CiscoWorks2000 server Bobs Cisco 1 03-25-2005 12:21 AM
HELP ---starting to get these alerts SHRED Firefox 1 10-09-2004 06:17 AM

Advertisments