Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Firewall message

Firewall message

Sale

" Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)is being
contacted from a remote machine (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) using local port 135
(EPMAP - Location service - Dynamically assign ports for RPC). Do you
want to allow this program to access the network? "

This is the message that I got from Sygate PF 5.5 a few minutes ago. I
said no.

Do I have any reason to be concerned?

Best Regards

Colonel Flagg

In article <bu1gm4$clgc7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> " Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)is being
> contacted from a remote machine (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) using local port 135
> (EPMAP - Location service - Dynamically assign ports for RPC). Do you
> want to allow this program to access the network? "
>
> This is the message that I got from Sygate PF 5.5 a few minutes ago. I
> said no.
>
> Do I have any reason to be concerned?
>
> Best Regards

It's doing it's job.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Stephen K. Gielda

In article <bu1gm4$clgc7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> " Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)is being
> contacted from a remote machine (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) using local port 135
> (EPMAP - Location service - Dynamically assign ports for RPC). Do you
> want to allow this program to access the network? "
>
> This is the message that I got from Sygate PF 5.5 a few minutes ago. I
> said no.
>
> Do I have any reason to be concerned?

Likely just a messenger spammer, you'll see them try 135-139 and 445. I
wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't allow it either.

/steve
--
You simply cannot get more server side control of
your e-mail without running your own mail server and

Sale

Stephen K. Gielda wrote:

> In article <bu1gm4$clgc7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>" Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)is being
>>contacted from a remote machine (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) using local port 135
>>(EPMAP - Location service - Dynamically assign ports for RPC). Do you
>>want to allow this program to access the network? "
>>
>>This is the message that I got from Sygate PF 5.5 a few minutes ago. I
>>said no.
>>
>>Do I have any reason to be concerned?
>>

> Likely just a messenger spammer, you'll see them try 135-139 and 445. I
> wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't allow it either.
>
> /steve

Thanks, I just needed to check