Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Symantec/Norton Publisher certificates expire causing your computer to slow down and MS Word & Excel will not start

Symantec/Norton Publisher certificates expire causing your computer to slow down and MS Word & Excel will not start

David H. Lipman

After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer slows down and
Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

Situation:
This document describes this problem and how to fix it.

Solution:
Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.

There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a permanent solution.

To use the workaround

1.. Close all programs.
2.. Start Internet Explorer.
3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the Security section.
5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option as shown here:

Dave

Stephen Howard

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:56:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer slows down and
>Microsoft Word and Excel will not start
>
>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...04010810205113
>
>Situation:
>This document describes this problem and how to fix it.
>
>Solution:
>Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.
>
>There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a permanent solution.
>
>To use the workaround
>
> 1.. Close all programs.
> 2.. Start Internet Explorer.
> 3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
> 4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the Security section.
> 5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option as shown here:

Oooh, interesting.

Just recently my system ( W98se..IE6 ) has been exhibiting some
strange behaviour.
From time to time the screen simply slows to a crawl and eventually
just freezes.
It's been happening for about a week now, and I've been trying to
figure out what on earth is causing it.

My last NAV update was dated 30/12/03, so maybe there's half a chance
that the problem came in with the last virus defs.

Funnily enough, I run exactly the same setup on a laptop, which until
last night had no problems at all...and then it did that screen freeze
trick.

I'll give your advice a go.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Hairy One Kenobi

news:l%mLb.471$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer

slows down and
> Microsoft Word and Excel will not start
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...04010810205113
>
> Situation:
> This document describes this problem and how to fix it.
>
> Solution:
> Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.
>
> There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a

permanent solution.

> To use the workaround
>
> 1.. Close all programs.
> 2.. Start Internet Explorer.
> 3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
> 4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the

Security section.
> 5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option

as shown here:

Ah. It all starts to make sense, now - a load of (Verisign?) certificates
expired, requiring updates to all sorts of software. Av didn't exactly
spring to mind, though!

Sun snuck out yet another version of (IIRC) 1.4.3 just before Christmas,
which was how I found out.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Stephen Howard

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:21:52 +0000, Stephen Howard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Oooh, interesting.
>
>Just recently my system ( W98se..IE6 ) has been exhibiting some
>strange behaviour.
>From time to time the screen simply slows to a crawl and eventually
>just freezes.
>It's been happening for about a week now, and I've been trying to
>figure out what on earth is causing it.
>
>My last NAV update was dated 30/12/03, so maybe there's half a chance
>that the problem came in with the last virus defs.
>
>Funnily enough, I run exactly the same setup on a laptop, which until
>last night had no problems at all...and then it did that screen freeze
>trick.
>
>I'll give your advice a go.

Well, it ain't Norton

Disabled the certificates thing, still getting the stalling.
Will have to start checking the common apps.
I'm suspecting Sygate or Pegasus at the moment.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk