Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Why would Excel be contacting Verisign?

Why would Excel be contacting Verisign?

Sci Borg

I just opened Excel with a blank spreadsheet, and the Sygate firewall told
me that Excel is trying to contact crl.verisign.com. I selected "no" to
not allow it to do so, and imediately got the same message from Norton
Antivirus.

Any ideas why would this be?

-S

furrfu

Sci Borg wrote:
> I just opened Excel with a blank spreadsheet, and the Sygate firewall told
> me that Excel is trying to contact crl.verisign.com. I selected "no" to
> not allow it to do so, and imediately got the same message from Norton
> Antivirus.
>
> Any ideas why would this be?

Excellent summary at http://www.unixwiz.net/blog/archives/001101.html

-=Furrfu=-

David H. Lipman

After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer slows down and
Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

Situation:
This document describes this problem and how to fix it.

Solution:
Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.

There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a permanent solution.

To use the workaround

1.. Close all programs.
2.. Start Internet Explorer.
3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the Security section.
5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option as shown here:

Dave

news:Xns946A6084435FASciborgaustinrrcom@24.93.43.1 19...