Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > boot.ini

boot.ini

Mick

Help??

I think i may have a virus.

when booting i get message invalid boot.ini
when xp loads.

I have lost all folders, work, settings.

can anyone please tell me how to restore boot.ini

Iam new to this so please be gentle. give me a simple direction to fix this
problem please

many thanks Roy

Giel

"Mick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bspn5t$agc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help??
>
> I think i may have a virus.
>
> when booting i get message invalid boot.ini
> when xp loads.
>
> I have lost all folders, work, settings.
>
> can anyone please tell me how to restore boot.ini
>
> Iam new to this so please be gentle. give me a simple direction to fix

this
> problem please
>
> many thanks Roy

Can you boot up in DOS?
can you take a look at boot.ini
Have you been adding harddisk lately, or altered your harddrives?
What does FDISK tells you about your hdd structure and does it comply whit
the contens of boot.ini?
You may consider fdisk /mbr in case of bootvirus (try f-prot dos anti-virus
before booting up in win32)

i don't know nothing about xp, but boot.ini should have the attributes
readonly and system, but can operate without.

THINK positive STAY negative!
ADBlocker at http://nina.xs4all.nl/pac
Securityscan at http://nina.xs4all.nl/scan
WhoIs at http://nina.xs4all.nl/whois.htm