Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > AVG free version

AVG free version

Lou W

Using AVG free version, Just d/l'ed it last night. I have gotten an error
on boot up "unable to initialize AVG core", everything freezes and I have
to reboot.Sometimes it boots fine on start up then other times no. Any tips
on what is up with this.

TIA

Lou

Pete

"Lou W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using AVG free version, Just d/l'ed it last night. I have gotten an error
> on boot up "unable to initialize AVG core", everything freezes and I have
> to reboot.Sometimes it boots fine on start up then other times no. Any

tips
> on what is up with this.
>
> TIA
>
> Lou

Hello,

According to the FAQ at http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=9&sid=8

"After restarting, AVG gives an 'Error in AVG core'. What next ?

This problem is caused by an incorrect or damaged installation. You must
uninstall AVG and then reinstall it. If the problem persists contact
technical support .... "

I don't know if this is applicable to your situation or not. As you have the
free version, you're knackered for technical support from this site. Try a
re-install ?

Regards,

Pete.

N1POP

Lou W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Using AVG free version, Just d/l'ed it last night. I have gotten an error
> on boot up "unable to initialize AVG core", everything freezes and I have
> to reboot.Sometimes it boots fine on start up then other times no. Any tips
> on what is up with this.

I use AVG free on two of my machines (the remainder are non-Windows).
It works fine out of the box. My Mother's machine, however, did not
like it and exhibited similar errors. So it appears, as is expected,
that it does not run on all machines flawlessly. You might try asking
grisoft to look into it, but they are under no obligation. When you
write to them, make sure you tell them what kind of computer you have
(CPU, RAM, HD), what version of Windows you're running (get the gories
from Help > About in the Windows Explorer), and what version of AVG
you've installed (the install file is uniquely named and dated, you
could give them that).

eth0:fifo

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
<snip>
"unable to initialize AVG core",
</snip>

As mentioned by a previous poster, Uninstall - Reboot - Download FRESH
copy of Install App - ReInstall. This works every time. If using
Win98, I would recommend running Scandisk and Defrag before reinstall.

I install AVG on clients home computers if I see they are not
practicing safe surfing. I get this error quit a lot but easy to fix.

Also, AVG is great at spotting viruses and is resource friendly
(though can tie up a PI/PII during a scan). It is however quite weak
at cleaning the viruses. If you find a virus, reboot in safe mode and
scan again.

Make sure you update 2 times after install this will give you the
latest files and make all subsequent updates ~200k and not 5 meg due
to the patch that will be installed on your second update.

HTH

Aaron Lingwood