Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Running 2 firewalls

Running 2 firewalls

Kerodo

I'm currently running ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5 and I would like to also install
Kerio 2.1.5 and run it at the same time so I can take a look at it
without uninstalling ZA. If I like Kerio I might consider switching.

Does anyone know if this is unadvisable or would produce problems? Or
is it perhaps a good thing to run both firewalls at the same time?

So far I've been satisfied with ZA, but my curiosity about Kerio is
getting the better of me lately..

Any advice or ideas?

phoenix

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:58:24 -0800, Kerodo wrote:

> I'm currently running ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5 and I would like to also install
> Kerio 2.1.5 and run it at the same time so I can take a look at it
> without uninstalling ZA. If I like Kerio I might consider switching.
>
> Does anyone know if this is unadvisable or would produce problems? Or
> is it perhaps a good thing to run both firewalls at the same time?
>
> So far I've been satisfied with ZA, but my curiosity about Kerio is
> getting the better of me lately..
>
> Any advice or ideas?

It's not advised by either of the vendors and *may* cause you problems. You
don't have to uninstall ZA, just uncheck the 'Load ZA at startup' option
and reboot - ZA doesn't load.

Regards

Bill

Kerodo

phoenix wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:58:24 -0800, Kerodo wrote:
>

>>I'm currently running ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5 and I would like to also install
>>Kerio 2.1.5 and run it at the same time so I can take a look at it
>>without uninstalling ZA. If I like Kerio I might consider switching.
>>
>>Does anyone know if this is unadvisable or would produce problems? Or
>>is it perhaps a good thing to run both firewalls at the same time?
>>
>>So far I've been satisfied with ZA, but my curiosity about Kerio is
>>getting the better of me lately..
>>
>>Any advice or ideas?

> It's not advised by either of the vendors and *may* cause you problems. You
> don't have to uninstall ZA, just uncheck the 'Load ZA at startup' option
> and reboot - ZA doesn't load.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill

Well, after looking Kerio over, I decided to uninstall ZA and use Kerio.
Took the better part of the evening to get rid of ZA from my machine.
Amazing all the stuff it puts everywhere, and the uninstall program
didn't work either. Anyway, it's removed now.

Kerio looks good. Seems to be a lot leaner and meaner.

Berry

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:03:18 -0800, Kerodo <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well, after looking Kerio over, I decided to uninstall ZA and use Kerio.
> Took the better part of the evening to get rid of ZA from my machine.
> Amazing all the stuff it puts everywhere, and the uninstall program
>didn't work either. Anyway, it's removed now.
>
>Kerio looks good. Seems to be a lot leaner and meaner.

You did the right thing by uninstalling ZA first. Indeed two firewalls
*may* cause problems, but you also will never know if they are working
right. If Kerio isn't blocking one thing and ZA is, you'll never know
if they are both active. If you want to test Kerio, make sure ZA is
not loaded and make your choice after that.