Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Software Firewall NAT Router or Both

Software Firewall NAT Router or Both

K2NNJ

I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the sygate
security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT router(Linksys
BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If I run the FW and the
router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113 are open.

I have a couple of questions.

1. What should I run?
2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
3. What does a NAT router block?

Thank you,

Bob

ClareOldie

K2NNJ wrote:
> I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the
> sygate security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT
> router(Linksys BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If
> I run the FW and the router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113
> are open.
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1. What should I run?
> 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
> 3. What does a NAT router block?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob

With the router connected the site is testing the Router not your pc.
Without the router its your pc that is being tested.
I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all ports
blocked.
When using both anything that has slipped by the router is caught by the
firewall. The firewall also gives application control on outbound traffic.
Seán

Jim Watt

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:16:51 -0000, "ClareOldie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>K2NNJ wrote:
>> I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the
>> sygate security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT
>> router(Linksys BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If
>> I run the FW and the router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113
>> are open.
>>
>> I have a couple of questions.
>>
>> 1. What should I run?
>> 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
>> 3. What does a NAT router block?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Bob

>With the router connected the site is testing the Router not your pc.
>Without the router its your pc that is being tested.
>I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all ports
>blocked.
>When using both anything that has slipped by the router is caught by the
>firewall. The firewall also gives application control on outbound traffic.
>Seán

Yes, you certainly need BOTH
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

K2NNJ

Thanks for the help

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:16:51 -0000, "ClareOldie"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >K2NNJ wrote:
> >> I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the
> >> sygate security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT
> >> router(Linksys BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If
> >> I run the FW and the router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113
> >> are open.
> >>
> >> I have a couple of questions.
> >>
> >> 1. What should I run?
> >> 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
> >> 3. What does a NAT router block?
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> Bob

> >With the router connected the site is testing the Router not your pc.
> >Without the router its your pc that is being tested.
> >I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all

ports
> >blocked.
> >When using both anything that has slipped by the router is caught by the
> >firewall. The firewall also gives application control on outbound

traffic.
> >Seán
> >

> Yes, you certainly need BOTH
> --
> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Hairy One Kenobi

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:16:51 -0000, "ClareOldie"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >K2NNJ wrote:
> >> I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the
> >> sygate security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT
> >> router(Linksys BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If
> >> I run the FW and the router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113
> >> are open.
> >>
> >> I have a couple of questions.
> >>
> >> 1. What should I run?
> >> 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
> >> 3. What does a NAT router block?

> >With the router connected the site is testing the Router not your pc.
> >Without the router its your pc that is being tested.
> >I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all

ports
> >blocked.
> >When using both anything that has slipped by the router is caught by the
> >firewall. The firewall also gives application control on outbound

traffic.

> Yes, you certainly need BOTH

A commonly-stated bit of "wisdom".

Why?

Taking the example of breaking-and-entering on a house, what benefit do
interior door bolts do, given that the burglar is inside the hose, with a
complete set of keys?

OK, so a decent IDS system (e.g. large, hungry rottweiler) can make a big
impression.

But how many people /really/ use them? (I can almost count them on the
fingers of one knee.. ;o)

Not to say that a SPFW isn't a way to justify (to yourself) that last
processor and/or memory upgrade..

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

David Norris

"K2NNJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S49Db.154853$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the

sygate
> security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT router(Linksys
> BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If I run the FW and the
> router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113 are open.
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1. What should I run?
> 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
> 3. What does a NAT router block?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob

Remember, with the router, your PC is hidden from the Internet. The open
ports on the router, which are visible, are likely to be an admin webserver
on the router, on port 80, which allows you to configure the router remotely
over the Internet (make sure you put a password on this to prevent
tampering!), and on port 113 you have Ident, a service which tells any
mailservers, for example, what's connecting to them. Some services may
respond slowly without Ident present, so the router provides this as a
courtesy. It's not anything to worry about. Also, look at the configuration
of the router, make sure that the DMZ is disabled, and enable the built-in
firewall if you want to be safest. See the manual.

Do remember, that the software firewall does have the ability to monitor
outgoing connections, whereas the router doesn't. But the router has other
advantages.

I have some more information available about these things here:
http://80.4.4.163/ebooks/ebooks.htm