Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > DNS kong

DNS kong

sandman

when configureing dns kong with windows xp behind a nat router, what
address do you put in the tcp/ip dns property? if i try 127.0.0.1 it
doesnt work?

Pete

sandman , over to you ... :

>when configureing dns kong with windows xp behind a nat router, what
>address do you put in the tcp/ip dns property? if i try 127.0.0.1 it
>doesnt work?

I just had a look at the site myself, seems interesting. Did you put
'127.0.0.1 localhost' in ? Apparently, that's what you do if you're using
Windows 2000/XP.

Regards,

Pete.

sandman

Pete wrote:
> sandman , over to you ... :
>

>>when configureing dns kong with windows xp behind a nat router, what
>>address do you put in the tcp/ip dns property? if i try 127.0.0.1 it
>>doesnt work?

> I just had a look at the site myself, seems interesting. Did you put
> '127.0.0.1 localhost' in ? Apparently, that's what you do if you're using
> Windows 2000/XP.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.

email from pyrenan. many thanks too those people

Yes I'll be happy to help.

Your NAT router supports machines behind the router with what are
called private (or non-routed) IPs. These IPs will be in one of
several IP ranges depending on the NAT router:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.0.0
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.0

For example, My Linksys assigns IPs in the range
192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255
with the router itself using 192.168.1.1 inside the
net.

Most NATs allow using either automatic address assignment via
DHCP or static IP assignment via your machines network control
panel. Almost all allow a mix of both static and automatic IP
assignment. For DNSKong to run behind the NAT the machine needs
to be given a static IP in the router's IP range. The IPs
ending with .0 , .1 and .255 are almost always reserved so
you should not use any IP ending with one of those numbers for your
DNSKong machine. Your NAT documentation is the best place to
determine what IPs to avoid.
It is also a good idea to use a command window to determine your
other network properties prior to setting up DNSKong. From the
taskbar start|run type
cmd
which will bring up a command window. (Win 98 uses command instead of
cmd).
At the command prompt type
ipconfig /all
this will list your current network settings.
You want to locate and record the values of the items labeled:
IP address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS Servers

Select your network properties for your internet adapter. The images
on <http://www.pyrenean.com/config.php> are close to what you will see
but they are not from XP.

You will want to set the Properties of your Internet Protocol adapter.

Pick a valid IP in the NAT routers range for your DNSKong machine
and set the machine's network properties to have that IP using the
subnet mask and gateway IP you found from the ipconfig. You can
also use the IP address from ipconfig for this purpose.

In the DNS settings for your connection enter your machines IP address
as the primary DNS.
You may be prompted to restart your machine. That is fine to do at
this time.

Next start DNS Kong.
Right click the green swimming trunks icon in the tray. Select
Options | Proxy DNS ...
add your ipconfig DNS IPs in the first 2 edits of the Configure
Proxied DNS servers edits. Click OK.

Right click the green swimming trunks icon in the tray. Select
Options | IP Info ....
Click OK on the machine name popup.
Locate your static IP in the
Available Machine IP addresses: list
Select your IP.
Click To Serve.

Right click the green swimming trunks icon in the tray. Select
and check Options | Use Proxy

Start and Stop DNSKong.
You should be ready to go.

You will also want to pick one of the filter folders supplied with
DNSKong as the defaults filter nothing.

Best regards,
Pyrenean