Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Best method? - Internet Video Conferencing

Best method? - Internet Video Conferencing

Beachcomber

What, in your opinion, is the most economical, but reliable, method
of doing a 2-way videoconference between businesses in different
remote locations?

Both sites have high speed access through cable broadband, static IPs,
routers with NAT, firewall software, and late model PC's configured
with the latest version of Internet Explorer, speakers, mics, and an
inexpensive USB ball video cam. Security encryption is not a major
concern.

I have installed Microsoft Net Meeting on one of the local PC's, but
Microsolf's server never seems to be available and the whole scheme
doesn't seem to be reliable. Would I have better luck with AOL or
Yahoo for video conferencing or do I need something more robust?

Beachcomber

Colonel Flagg

says...
> What, in your opinion, is the most economical, but reliable, method
> of doing a 2-way videoconference between businesses in different
> remote locations?
>
> Both sites have high speed access through cable broadband, static IPs,
> routers with NAT, firewall software, and late model PC's configured
> with the latest version of Internet Explorer, speakers, mics, and an
> inexpensive USB ball video cam. Security encryption is not a major
> concern.
>
> I have installed Microsoft Net Meeting on one of the local PC's, but
> Microsolf's server never seems to be available and the whole scheme
> doesn't seem to be reliable. Would I have better luck with AOL or
> Yahoo for video conferencing or do I need something more robust?
>
> Beachcomber

considering the restrictions you placed on the criteria... i'd say yahoo
would work. as for net meeting, it doesn't care for NAT at all... and as
you said, it's not reliable. i've found yahoo works in just about all
circumstances and i've set this up for an office or two... offices that
wanted to "do it on the cheap".

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Hairy One Kenobi

"Beachcomber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What, in your opinion, is the most economical, but reliable, method
> of doing a 2-way videoconference between businesses in different
> remote locations?
>
> Both sites have high speed access through cable broadband, static IPs,
> routers with NAT, firewall software, and late model PC's configured
> with the latest version of Internet Explorer, speakers, mics, and an
> inexpensive USB ball video cam. Security encryption is not a major
> concern.
>
> I have installed Microsoft Net Meeting on one of the local PC's, but
> Microsolf's server never seems to be available and the whole scheme
> doesn't seem to be reliable. Would I have better luck with AOL or
> Yahoo for video conferencing or do I need something more robust?

Can't really comment about the software that you're planning to use, but
it's probably worth pointing out that IP video conferencing over the
unregulated Internet generally produces pretty poor frame rates (you're
limited to the lowest bandwidth at any point in the link, and potentially
vulnerable to high packet loss)

http://www.videocentric.co.uk has some information & links that you might
find useful (declaration of interest: I'm unconnected with the company, but
know the Tech. Director. Very knowledgeable chap)

Most "proper" installations still use dedicated ISDN lines, where you have a
guaranteed level of service.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Mangled&Munged

Hint:
From my following of the various hack/crack news groups,
the tool "Netmeeting" is commonly referred to as "A sucking
chest wound". No amount of band-aids will be sufficient to
repair the damage to your computer security once this tool
is in use.

Also, due to Netmeeting's use of dynamic port assignments,
it does not work so well behind a NAT.

Enjoy
Mangled & Munged

"Beachcomber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What, in your opinion, is the most economical, but reliable, method
> of doing a 2-way videoconference between businesses in different
> remote locations?
>
> Both sites have high speed access through cable broadband, static IPs,
> routers with NAT, firewall software, and late model PC's configured
> with the latest version of Internet Explorer, speakers, mics, and an
> inexpensive USB ball video cam. Security encryption is not a major
> concern.
>
> I have installed Microsoft Net Meeting on one of the local PC's, but
> Microsolf's server never seems to be available and the whole scheme
> doesn't seem to be reliable. Would I have better luck with AOL or
> Yahoo for video conferencing or do I need something more robust?
>
> Beachcomber

Hairy One Kenobi

"Mangled&Munged" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:KyoCb.119$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hint:
> From my following of the various hack/crack news groups,
> the tool "Netmeeting" is commonly referred to as "A sucking
> chest wound". No amount of band-aids will be sufficient to
> repair the damage to your computer security once this tool
> is in use.

No matter what information imparted - that's a beautifully emotive phrase
;o)

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

FireFighter

Beachcomber wrote:

You can try Eyeball chat.

http://www.eyeballchat.com/

--
FiRe

"Shut up brain,or I'll stab ya with a Q-tip"
Homer J.Simpson

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy".
Ben Franklin

www.Station60.com

Abhijit

Hi,

One prof in our school is working on this topic and has developed a
SIP base videoconferencing tool. This videoconferencing client is
available for free you can download the client at ncl.cgu.edu.

Well, this is a NSF supported project for Internet2, but worth looking
if you are really serious about videoconferencing as such.

Abhijit.
School of Information Science,
CGU,CA,USA