Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > CISSP certification

CISSP certification

Rowdy Yates

Hi all. I posted a while ago about CISSP. Well since then, I did a bit of
research on it, and I decided I was aiming too high. It looks like you
can't "just" decide to pursue this certifation. You actually need "real
word" experience. 3 to 4 years of it apparently. So I guess I'll start with
the Security+ and then perhaps look at either CheckPoint's CCSA or
Symantec's SCSP and see if that gets me a job.

My point is, when I was trying to get into IT, it was a catch-22 situation.
No one wanted to give you an IT job, because you don't have experience. But
you can't get experience without an IT job. Now I have 5 years experience
doing network administration and want to get out of it.

Well, this is begining to look like a catch-22 situation all over again,
except this time I have experience, but not the right kind of experience.
Life sucks!

Sorry, for the rant. My question, how come I am not seeing any junior level
security jobs out there? They are all mid-level to senior. All jobs that
have anything to do with security require experience and/or CISSP. Am I
missing something?

RY, MCSE

Eirik Seim

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:56:58 GMT, Rowdy Yates wrote:

[snip]

> Now I have 5 years experience
> doing network administration and want to get out of it.

You must have been doing some really weird (and dangerous?) network
administration if security was not a major part of it.

This was meant more as a "you should have security related experience,
realize it, get it on your CV and use it" than a rant, really ...

> Sorry, for the rant. My question, how come I am not seeing any junior level
> security jobs out there?

Because the juniors start by doing some years as a network or system
administrator, or as a developer, depending on what kind of security
work they aim for.

(follow-up set to comp.security.misc)

- Eirik
--