Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Am I being hacked? Remote cd access

Am I being hacked? Remote cd access

Ronald Smyth

While recently browsing the web I received a pop-up window. The message
stated that my computer was not secure and I should get such and such
software. I don't know which one because I closed it right away. Anyway as
if to prove it's point, the window also wrote did your CD just pop open? My
CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
Norton Antivirus.

Harri Mellin

In article <ldNyb.443$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Ronald Smyth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> While recently browsing the web I received a pop-up window. The message
> stated that my computer was not secure and I should get such and such
> software. I don't know which one because I closed it right away. Anyway as
> if to prove it's point, the window also wrote did your CD just pop open? My
> CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
> So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
> Norton Antivirus.

it's just a pop-up ad with the command for windows to open the cddrive

Swedish Webcams http://zap.to/webcams

Ronald Smyth

Thank you for your reply. But theoretically if they can access my CD can't
my hard drive be accessed? I have the Windows XP firewall enabled and Norton
AV updated all the time. Shouldn't this not be possible to do? I mean if
they can give a remote command to my PC to pop the CD then they can hard
drive file access too. Is there something else I can do to block any outside
command from being carried out, malicious or not (assuming Windows XP
firewall is not doing the job)?

"Harri Mellin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> In article <ldNyb.443$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> "Ronald Smyth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > While recently browsing the web I received a pop-up window. The message
> > stated that my computer was not secure and I should get such and such
> > software. I don't know which one because I closed it right away. Anyway

as
> > if to prove it's point, the window also wrote did your CD just pop open?

My
> > CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
> > So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
> > Norton Antivirus.

> it's just a pop-up ad with the command for windows to open the cddrive

> Swedish Webcams http://zap.to/webcams

David H. Lipman

That's what they WANT you to think so you'll but their crap.

Dave

"Ronald Smyth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3KOyb.537$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
| Thank you for your reply. But theoretically if they can access my CD can't
| my hard drive be accessed? I have the Windows XP firewall enabled and Norton
| AV updated all the time. Shouldn't this not be possible to do? I mean if
| they can give a remote command to my PC to pop the CD then they can hard
| drive file access too. Is there something else I can do to block any outside
| command from being carried out, malicious or not (assuming Windows XP
| firewall is not doing the job)?
|
| "Harri Mellin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
| > In article <ldNyb.443$(E-Mail Removed) >,
| > "Ronald Smyth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| >
| > > While recently browsing the web I received a pop-up window. The message
| > > stated that my computer was not secure and I should get such and such
| > > software. I don't know which one because I closed it right away. Anyway
| as
| > > if to prove it's point, the window also wrote did your CD just pop open?
| My
| > > CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
| > > So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
| > > Norton Antivirus.
| >
| > it's just a pop-up ad with the command for windows to open the cddrive
| >
| > --
| > -------------------------------------------
| > Swedish Webcams http://zap.to/webcams
| > -------------------------------------------

Hairy One Kenobi

"Ronald Smyth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ldNyb.443$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> While recently browsing the web I received a pop-up window. The message
> stated that my computer was not secure and I should get such and such
> software. I don't know which one because I closed it right away. Anyway as
> if to prove it's point, the window also wrote did your CD just pop open?

My
> CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
> So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
> Norton Antivirus.

JavaScript and VBscript run in your browser, using your settings (so, for
example, when you see a clock on a web page, that's all actually running on
your PC)

If you have Windows Media Player installed, then you can use that to open
the drive by invoking the ActiveX control.

Not as "scary" as listing directory contents, IMHO - that was last year's
trick.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Thund3rstruck

Hairy One Kenobi Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
proclaimed in <y_Xyb.64$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Not as "scary" as listing directory contents, IMHO - that was last
> year's trick.

LOL. I remember the helpdesk calls from that one...

NOI