Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Spyware Blocklists, IDS, other stuff updated

Spyware Blocklists, IDS, other stuff updated

sponge

I just did an update and added a few new parasites to my firewall
rulesets at my site, so if you' want to use 'em, feel free to download
them. I added just a few new items including a new FavoriteMan variant
(I consider FavoriteMan to be one of the worst parasites, since it
installs so many others). It's been a month and a half since my last
updates, which is a good sign because it means the flow of serious,
hardcore parasites is slowing down (at least for now...keep your
fingers crossed!)
I've also updated the Intrusion Detection rulesets for those who run
IDS. There are two kinds, a "Basic" version and an "Advanced" one. I
personally feel the Basic version to be more reliable since it nails
all IP traffic and because it's much faster (which is important for an
IDS using so many signatures.) The "Advanced" version has the ability
to kill malicious connections though, which is useful on a
Network-based IDS. Please give me some feedback if they do or don't
work for you. BTW, for those of you who are running Snort, version
2.0.5 is available from Snort.org.
And, of course, I've posted updated filters for DNSKong users, as well
as a new HOSTS file that works nicely in Linux/Unix as well as
Windows.
Well, that's it for now. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving or
just a good day.

Sponge
Sponge's Secure Solutions
www.geocities.com/yosponge
My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com