Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > how can I password protect the cmd program?

how can I password protect the cmd program?

Bryce

how can I password protect the cmd program?

David H. Lipman

Delete it !

But why stop at CMD.EXE why not COMMAND.EXE ?

Of course you won't be able to run DOS programs nor have an interactive command prompt to
run command line utilities.

Dave

"Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Kxaxb.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
| how can I password protect the cmd program?

Hairy One Kenobi

"Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Kxaxb.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
> how can I password protect the cmd program?

AFAIK, you can't.

You /can/ set security ACLs (you seem to be using XP - right-click a file
(and file) and go to the security tab to select/deselect users and groups.

This won't stop someone from running commands directly from the Start menu -
for that (and other things) you should Google for "XP Group Policy". Not
available on XP Home, AFAIK.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Leythos

In article <j1lxb.118$(E-Mail Removed)>, abuse@
[127.0.0.1] says...
> "Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Kxaxb.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > how can I password protect the cmd program?

> AFAIK, you can't.

You can set the permissions on it so that only selected users have
access to it - meaning NTFS permissions (security tab). I do this on all
servers and esp. on web servers. (a lot more than just cmd also).

(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Hairy One Kenobi

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <j1lxb.118$(E-Mail Removed)>, abuse@
> [127.0.0.1] says...
> > "Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Kxaxb.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > how can I password protect the cmd program?

> > AFAIK, you can't.

> You can set the permissions on it so that only selected users have
> access to it - meaning NTFS permissions (security tab). I do this on all
> servers and esp. on web servers. (a lot more than just cmd also).

...which basically restates what you snipped!

H1K