Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Is creating securely encrypted CDs, readable in Windows and Linux, possible?

Is creating securely encrypted CDs, readable in Windows and Linux, possible?

TGOS

[Followup-To set, following it and that way avoid uneccessary xposts
would be nice]

Hello all you security and crypto masters

I'm looking for a piece of software, that allows me to create encrypted
CDs. When saying "encrypted CD", I mean a CD, where people can neither
see the content of the files, nor the NAMES of the files (this is an
important issue, too, and most people don't consider it!), unless the
person can provide an accurate password.

Whether all files ares stored individually and the name of the files are
just somehow scrambled (and get de-scrambled if the correct password is
provided), or whether the whole CD partition is scrambled, or whether
there is only a single large file on CD with a scrambled partition
inside... I don't care. As long as nobody can access the data and read
the file names without password, I'm happy.

The data must be readable directly from CD, first copying it to HD and
then decryption it means that protected data is stored unprotected where
every other process could easily read it (reading it from memory is of
course still possible, but the whole thing won't usually be in memory
and it will only be there, as long as it's used).

I know, there are hundreds of tools around, I'm able to use a search
engine myself But what is very important are the following two
facts:

1) The final CD must be readable on Linux *AND* Windows systems. A
Win-only/Linux-only solution is worthless. This includes stuff like
PGPDisk, CD-Lock or Linux Loopback solutions.

2) Ideally the tool works in user-space. A tool where I first have to
patch+recompile the kernel, compile+install a module or install a new
driver to get a new virtual device on my system is worthless (as it
demands root/administrator rights to work).

Does any such tool exist?
I don't know if it's even possible to write such a tool. Usually a tool
would have to sit between CD-ROM driver and OS and thus it can't be a
user space tool.

Right now I'm happy if only the first condition is true. Of course CDs
will be ISO format, so I should be able to create such a CD in Linux and
read under Windows and the other way round.

Any ideas?

--
TGOS