Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > ZONE ALARM MESSUP

ZONE ALARM MESSUP

bj

I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on the
internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore etc.(it
would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out) So
I decided to address my problems to this site
1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed that
the computer would be able to deal with that itself
2) I update zonealarm
3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that eg
1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect

Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
cheers
bj

Todd Walker

In article <bpomkq$u6f$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on the
> internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
> their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
> there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore etc.(it
> would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out) So
> I decided to address my problems to this site
> 1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
> and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed that
> the computer would be able to deal with that itself
> 2) I update zonealarm
> 3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
> controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that eg
> 1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
> eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect
>
> Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
> cheers
> bj

I upgraded to the latest version today as well and I am having no
problems at all.

--
_________________________
Todd Walker

Fowl

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:06:23 -0000, "bj"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on the
>internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
>their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
>there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore etc.(it
>would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out) So
>I decided to address my problems to this site
>1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
>and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed that
>the computer would be able to deal with that itself
>2) I update zonealarm
>3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
>controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that eg
>1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
>eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect
>
>Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
> cheers
>bj

If it's the Licenced Version, send an email to support. (from a
friends PC, use his email addy)

They give good reponse,as the update also gave me problems

To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net

fob

"Fowl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:06:23 -0000, "bj"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on the
> >internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
> >their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
> >there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore etc.(it
> >would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out) So
> >I decided to address my problems to this site
> >1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
> >and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed that
> >the computer would be able to deal with that itself
> >2) I update zonealarm
> >3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
> >controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that eg
> >1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
> >eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect
> >
> >Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
> > cheers
> >bj
> >

> If it's the Licenced Version, send an email to support. (from a
> friends PC, use his email addy)
>
> They give good reponse,as the update also gave me problems
>
> To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net

I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
I should of bought all AVG !
Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
keep this crap up.

Kevin

I have used Zone Alarm for a couple of years now and have never had a
problem with it. I started with the free version and I now run Zone Alarm
Pro on my Windows XP system. I also use AVG Anti-Virus and it works just
fine, too. I have never had a problem with either of them.

"fob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SdwGb.5584$(E-Mail Removed) t...

"Fowl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:06:23 -0000, "bj"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on

the
> >internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
> >their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
> >there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore

etc.(it
> >would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out)

So
> >I decided to address my problems to this site
> >1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
> >and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed

that
> >the computer would be able to deal with that itself
> >2) I update zonealarm
> >3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
> >controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that

eg
> >1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
> >eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect
> >
> >Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
> > cheers
> >bj
> >

> If it's the Licenced Version, send an email to support. (from a
> friends PC, use his email addy)
>
> They give good reponse,as the update also gave me problems
>
> To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net

I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
I should of bought all AVG !
Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
keep this crap up.

donutbandit

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com:

> I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
> NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
> I should of bought all AVG !
> Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
> keep this crap up.

First, AVG is free. If you bought it, you're even stupider than you sound.

If you used Zone Alarm, that qualifies you as unlearned.

If you use Norton, that qualifies you as unlearned AND stupid.

But you knew all this to begin with, eh?

What depths this NG has sunk to when someone here recommends Zone
Alarm..........

Kerodo

donutbandit wrote:
> "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com:
>

>>I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
>>NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
>>I should of bought all AVG !
>>Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
>>keep this crap up.

> First, AVG is free. If you bought it, you're even stupider than you sound.
>
> If you used Zone Alarm, that qualifies you as unlearned.
>
> If you use Norton, that qualifies you as unlearned AND stupid.
>
> But you knew all this to begin with, eh?
>
> What depths this NG has sunk to when someone here recommends Zone
> Alarm..........

There's nothing wrong with ZoneAlarm.. I used it here for a long time
with good results. It works a heck of a lot better than Sygate or
Norton. It seems to be popular now to bash ZA..

I use Kerio 2.1.5 now and prefer it over ZA though... But ZA served me
well for quite a while...

Pete

Kerodo , over to you ... :

>There's nothing wrong with ZoneAlarm.. I used it here for a long time
>with good results. It works a heck of a lot better than Sygate or
>Norton. It seems to be popular now to bash ZA..
>
>I use Kerio 2.1.5 now and prefer it over ZA though... But ZA served me
>well for quite a while...

Actually, that's almost exactly the same story with me. I used ZA years ago,
pre vsmon.exe resource hogging, and was reasonably happy with it. I switched
to Kerio (some newsgroup recommendation) because of the excessive use of CPU
power from ZA, and have used that to this day. ZA is good, but a lot of
folks seem to think it's the only software firewall out there.

BTW, I know that ZA is supposed to 'quieten down' after being in use for a
while, in terms of CPU usage, but Kerio worked so much better for me, that I
decided to lose ZA in favour of it.

Regards,

Pete.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Kerodo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsG1Hb.18215$i55.15070@fed1read06...
> donutbandit wrote:
> > "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com:
> >

> >>I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
> >>NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
> >>I should of bought all AVG !
> >>Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
> >>keep this crap up.

> > First, AVG is free. If you bought it, you're even stupider than you

sound.

> > If you used Zone Alarm, that qualifies you as unlearned.
> >
> > If you use Norton, that qualifies you as unlearned AND stupid.
> >
> > But you knew all this to begin with, eh?
> >
> > What depths this NG has sunk to when someone here recommends Zone
> > Alarm..........

> There's nothing wrong with ZoneAlarm.. I used it here for a long time
> with good results. It works a heck of a lot better than Sygate or
> Norton. It seems to be popular now to bash ZA..
>
> I use Kerio 2.1.5 now and prefer it over ZA though... But ZA served me
> well for quite a while...

Kerio has a good rep. Can't make a personal comment, because I haven't used
it.

I'm out-of-date regarding ZA, but I can state that it had serious enough
bugs to cause me to drop it. I bought the Pro version (this may have changed
now, but the base version didn't officially support an ICS-type solution.
Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Not a terribly good sign..)

After experiencing frequent lost connections with this [paid-for!] version,
I managed to isolate the cause (no, I'm not going to give away the punchline
just yet!) and contacted ZL support.

I can't honestly remember what they eventually sent back, about a week
later. Reinstall Windows, nail a haddock to the monitor, or something
equally silly. Contacted them again.

About a month after that (and having already switched to a Linux-based
solution) a missive turned-up with some other wacky suggestion, and a
statement that they hadn't managed to reproduce the problem. Gave a few more
examples, repeated the instructions on how to reproduce the problem, and
that was the last I heard. I think that might have been some time in 2000.
Not sure.

Useless.

Oh, yes - the punchline: it always broke after exactly 500 warning messages
have been displayed (i.e. locked the machine down and killed the routing);
apparently this "made it more secure".

Idiots.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

vb

I've been using ZA for several years with no problems. I think the problems
are with the users.....
V.B.

news:bsgujt$pio$(E-Mail Removed)...