Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > How Effective Are Firewalls and Anti Virus Applications

How Effective Are Firewalls and Anti Virus Applications

Mad Max

What language are you people speaking ? Thought it was English at first
glance, then it became more confusing with each word. Must be some form of
Computerese , or a rare form of Pig Latin. On second thought , I understand
my animals much better than this gobblydegook.

Mad Max

"anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No need for a firewall or anti-virus application if your on a Windows
> Platform and you didn't disable the services Windows leaves open, before
> your computer went online to the Internet. Your computer already has
> file and print sharing open and anyone in the world can view what is on
> your hard drive, add whatever they desire to add, including Backdoors
> and Trojan Horses. And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your
> firewall, whether hardware or software and any anti-virus application on
> your computer. Want proof of this technology, e-mail me at
> snailmail222000@yahoo and with your permission this babe will send you
> the "Redwood Broker Backdoor". Only the "elite" malicious hackers know
> about this and you won't find any information on the Internet pertaining
> to it. Let's expose the malicious hackers activity and share this
> knowledge with the world.
>
> Don't forget the malicious hackers use victims computers, running
> Virtual Private Networks and Dial-Up Servers with Pre-paid Phone Cards.
>
> Want to learn it all check out: www.secure2003flop.com
>
> Tracker

Volker Birk

In alt.computer.security Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No need for a firewall or anti-virus application if your on a Windows
>> Platform and you didn't disable the services Windows leaves open, before
>> your computer went online to the Internet.

> Dangerous rubbish. A firewall and AV program are essential parts of todays
> Internet connected computer.

Sorry, but this is wrong also. Of course, it is a better idea to
stop offering services first.

I think, the problem with Tracker is that she offers factoids and
refuses to discuss them.

VB.
--
X-Pie Software GmbH
Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

Bill

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:13:40 +0100, Volker Birk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I think, the problem with Tracker is that she offers factoids and
>refuses to discuss them.

Most likely because she doesn't understand what she just posted.

n1pop

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:28:48 +0300, Debbie wrote nothing useful or new:

Please don't feed the troll.

Frans Meijer

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:16:30 -0000, Mike wrote in
<bpnniq$iq9$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>"anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your
>> firewall, whether hardware or software

>And just how would a Trojan disable the firmware in my router??? Or the
>Firmware and config in my Watchguard Firebox?

Well, it's a horse, so it would just have to stand on your router a bit
to disable the firmware in it.

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:16:30 -0000, Mike wrote in
> <bpnniq$iq9$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>

> >"anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >> And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your
> >> firewall, whether hardware or software

> >And just how would a Trojan disable the firmware in my router??? Or the
> >Firmware and config in my Watchguard Firebox?

> Well, it's a horse, so it would just have to stand on your router a bit
> to disable the firmware in it.

I've installed Watchguard appliances in many locations over the year,
including government locations and never seen someone disable the
Firebox units - in fact, on a properly managed firebox I've never even
read of a documented break.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

NT Canuck

"anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Want to learn it all check out: www.secure2003flop.com

> Tracker

what is c2.lop good for?

oh, I see...
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/l/lop_com.asp

it seemed to be connected (part of) to the *flop.com link (above) in post...

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

NT Canuck

"anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Want to learn it all check out: www.secure2003flop.com

> Tracker

what is c2.lop good for?

oh, I see...
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/l/lop_com.asp

<caution>
It seems to be connected with the *flop.com link (above) in post...

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

zliminator

weren't they being fasicious(sic)? You can't disable the firmware since its
written in a prom, right?

> > >And just how would a Trojan disable the firmware in my router??? Or the
> > >Firmware and config in my Watchguard Firebox?

> > Well, it's a horse, so it would just have to stand on your router a bit
> > to disable the firmware in it.

> I've installed Watchguard appliances in many locations over the year,
> including government locations and never seen someone disable the
> Firebox units - in fact, on a properly managed firebox I've never even
> read of a documented break.

> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Steve H.

zliminator wrote:
> weren't they being fasicious(sic)? You can't disable the firmware since its
> written in a prom, right?

>>>Well, it's a horse, so it would just have to stand on your router a bit
>>>to disable the firmware in it.

>>I've installed Watchguard appliances in many locations over the year,
>>including government locations and never seen someone disable the
>>Firebox units - in fact, on a properly managed firebox I've never even
>>read of a documented break.
>>
>>--
>>--
>>(E-Mail Removed)