Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

Boomer

Cyberphreak101, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have had the same problem as you have and it started from this
> newsgroup

Which group?
comp.mail.misc,alt.computer.security,alt.comp.viru s,24hoursupport.hel
pdesk,microsoft.public.internet.mail

> but whomever sent it to me...

" I-Worm.Swen spreads via email, the Kazaa file sharing network and
IRC channels."
http://www.avp.ch/avpve/worms/email/swen.stm
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=88029
http://www.z-virus.com/Eng-virus-HTM/swen.htm

> you where not successful
> in tricking me into thinking that that was a security
> patch.Anyway...Just change your password for whatever server you
> use and create filters to catch the virus before it reaches
> you.Hope that helps you.
>

> On 17 Nov 2003 04:44:08 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> (wylbur37) wrote:
>
>>How can you really determine whether or not your computer has
>>been infected by the Swen worm?
>>
>>Having an anti-virus program report "no infections" is not
>>necessarily conclusive since it's possible that the anti-virus
>>program wasn't updated, or the update didn't include the code
>>for Swen.
>>
>>Is there a program available that was written specifically to
>>detect Swen?
>>
>>Alternatively, are there specific symptoms to look for (such as
>>the existence of certain files or executables) that would reveal
>>the presence of Swen?
>>
>>How can you be sure you didn't get infected by Swen?

Jeff

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:44:08 -0800, wylbur37 wrote:

> How can you really determine whether or not your computer has been
> infected by the Swen worm?

I can understand how this might be a problem. One way you could check is
install a packet sniffer (like Ethereal) and monitor SMTP activity for
awhile. If you have the virus it should be sending out stuff frequently
which you should easily be able to spot.

-Jeff