Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Newbie: Effectiveness of Mandrake Linux 9.2 "shoreline" firewall

Newbie: Effectiveness of Mandrake Linux 9.2 "shoreline" firewall

Steve H.

Hi gents and ladies,
I recently started using Mandrake Linux 9.2. During installation, it
asked me if I wished to install its software firewall named "shoreline".
So, I said yes and did not allow any internet services to access my box. I
am sitting behind a D-Link DI-604 router on a cable modem connection. Is
this software firewall worth anything ? I didn't ask this in the Mandrake
Linux NG because I wanted a hopefully objective opinion on it. Thanks in
advance.
Steve

Steve H.

<posted & mailed>

Steve H. labored mightily to posit:

Sorry folks, it's SHOREWALL, not shoreline. http://www.shorewall.net/

n1pop@hotmail.com

"Steve H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Mandrake Linux 9.2 ... "shorewall"
> worth anything?

I hope those are the relevant bits.

In my experience, shorewall is a user interface to the standard Linux
networking modules that control network traffic. Firewalling, NATing,
routing, and many other network control features are often standard in
Linux distributions, but are frequently difficult to configure or
maintain. For anyone migrating from Windows, it is especially hard
because the configuration is done by hand-editing text-based config
files.

Shorewall, in my experience, makes configuring and managing the Linux
firewall a little easier.