Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > internet banking browser annoyances

internet banking browser annoyances

surf chick

I use an internet bank which, when I login, opens a new browser window
with no menus and in fullscreen mode. This is annoying because I
usually have several programs/windows open in the taskbar(?) (the one
at the bottom) so I can do other things while waiting for the next
page to load from the bank.

I've complained to them about it and they say it's done for security
reasons.

Me accessing my task bar is a security hazard???? And anyway, all I
have to do is minimize the window while it loads and everything else
is visible anyway.

I can't even get to the edges of the browser window to resize it. Is
there a way that I can get the menu back and resize the window myself?
I tried ALT+Spacebar to move it so maybe I could get to one of the
corners but that doesn't work the way I want. And when I shift the
window from the title bar to get to a corner, the mouse pointer
doesn't become the resize arrow anyway.

Also, the right click is disabled so I can't open new browser windows
from a link (and if I do Shift+Click, the new browser window opens but
the banks website detects that and tells me I have too many sessions
open or something). Anything I can do about that (apart from complain
to the bank again)?

Thanks for any help! (Sorry about the double post, don't know which
group is more appropriate)

surf chick

Thanks for the help!

I changed the javascript settings to "prompt" and got lots of prompts.
Won't disabling mean the page won't load properly? I didn't try yet.

The F11 key works but the menu bar doesn't show - at least I can see
the URL though and when I type it in to a normal browser window, I get
the log in page with full browser functionality (I tried keyboard
copy-paste but that appears to have been disbled however the
autocomplete worked well).

What I don't understand is how these settings make the site more
secure. After all, I would have thought any hacker/cracker worth the
name would know all these keyboard tricks and more. The people like me
who don't have a clue are hardly going to be able to crack a secure
website anyway.

Ironically, one of the bank says to check their security certificate
to confirm it's really them. Not so easy when the menu bar is disabled
- same for the padlock icon in the status bar...

Thanks for the suggestion about sending more emails. I'll keep trying
but they've ignored the last few I've sent. I'd change banks but it'll
cost me an extra 5% on the loan I have with them to pay it off early.
Mad eh?

Geoff Dyer

On 24 Nov 2003 10:33:22 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (surf chick)
wrote:

>Ironically, one of the bank says to check their security certificate
>to confirm it's really them. Not so easy when the menu bar is disabled
>- same for the padlock icon in the status bar...

If you're using IE, right-click on the page and check the properties.
(This is one of the reasons I use IE for banking, even though I use
Mozilla as the default browser.)

--
Geoff
(to e-mail me, remove any instances of "-nospam" from my address)

surf chick

Ah yes, they disabled the right-click too...

Geoff Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 24 Nov 2003 10:33:22 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (surf chick)
> wrote:
>
> >Ironically, one of the bank says to check their security certificate
> >to confirm it's really them. Not so easy when the menu bar is disabled
> >- same for the padlock icon in the status bar...

> If you're using IE, right-click on the page and check the properties.
> (This is one of the reasons I use IE for banking, even though I use
> Mozilla as the default browser.)

Alan P

Funnily enough, I prefer Mozilla's security handling to IE