Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > How to fight password sharing???

How to fight password sharing???

TheWIZofWoz

> > I'd use smartcards, however if I had developed a system like that
> > I might plant some inquiries in a security group to try and whip up
> > interest in the idea.

> We use tokens to generate dynamic passwords. Works pretty well, and the
> user only needs to remember a PIN to use the token. It also lets us
> control client access to the system and is quite the revenue op.

We also use random generators from RSA, but they cost much and people often
forget or loose the token, we also had the problem of setting up a CRM to
make use support available (you won't believe how many dumbs populate the
world...)
I tested the Saintlogin, it looks great, people rarely forget their mobile
phone and surely they are smart enough to dial a number, it seems to be a
'smart' smartcard-replacer...

Andy

Jim Watt

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:54:51 +0100, "TheWIZofWoz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> > I'd use smartcards, however if I had developed a system like that
>> > I might plant some inquiries in a security group to try and whip up
>> > interest in the idea.

>> We use tokens to generate dynamic passwords. Works pretty well, and the
>> user only needs to remember a PIN to use the token. It also lets us
>> control client access to the system and is quite the revenue op.

>We also use random generators from RSA, but they cost much and people often
>forget or loose the token, we also had the problem of setting up a CRM to
>make use support available (you won't believe how many dumbs populate the
>world...)
>I tested the Saintlogin, it looks great, people rarely forget their mobile
>phone and surely they are smart enough to dial a number, it seems to be a
>'smart' smartcard-replacer...
>
>Andy

It relies on caller ID and thats not reliable, nor is it enabled on my
phone.

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

n1pop@hotmail.com

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I think that the floppy disk space will give way to a smartcard reader
> as a standard item on PC's, already I'm getting intelligent credit
> cards turning up.

That would be nice, we're ready to upgrade from tokens. But most of our
clients hate to spend money on new workstations. Some are still using 95,
of all things. It was just a few years ago we got our last 3.1 advocate to
upgrade (If it was good enough for Grandpa...).

n1pop@hotmail.com

"TheWIZofWoz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bodnef$956$(E-Mail Removed):

> We also use random generators from RSA, but they cost much and people
> often forget or loose the token, we also had the problem of setting up
> a CRM to make use support available (you won't believe how many dumbs
> populate the world...)

A sad downside, to be sure. But we do pass on that cost to the end user,
plus a fat markup, so they rarely lose them anymore.