Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Macros and Outlook?

Macros and Outlook?

BruceJ

Is there a way to "Record a macro" in OL 2002? I want to create rules via VB
(and it looks like you can not do this reliabley in OL 2002), so my next
option is to do a MACRO. Can I create a macro (that launches in excel
ideally!) to modify an existing rule?

Thanks
Bruce

Sue Mosher [MVP]

You can't record a macro in Outlook, but you can write them. While it is possible (not at all easy) to make some modifications of very simple rules, my guess is that your project (as yet undescribed) will need more than just simple rules. See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/vb.htm for VB+Outlook resources, including samples.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message newsfznb.50357$Fm2.25585@attbi_s04...
> Is there a way to "Record a macro" in OL 2002? I want to create rules via VB
> (and it looks like you can not do this reliabley in OL 2002), so my next
> option is to do a MACRO. Can I create a macro (that launches in excel
> ideally!) to modify an existing rule?
>
> Thanks
> Bruce

BruceJ

Sue,

Do you know of any samples that will look at email as it comes in, and then
match it to a list of given addresses, and then move it to a folder?

Is there a way to look at the code for any of the rules that I have created?
I am used to being able to "record" a macro and then modify it in Excel, and
I am just looking for the basic info I need.

Thanks
Bruce

"Sue Mosher [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
You can't record a macro in Outlook, but you can write them. While it is
possible (not at all easy) to make some modifications of very simple rules,
my guess is that your project (as yet undescribed) will need more than just
simple rules. See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/vb.htm for VB+Outlook
resources, including samples.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message
newsfznb.50357$Fm2.25585@attbi_s04...
> Is there a way to "Record a macro" in OL 2002? I want to create rules via

VB
> (and it looks like you can not do this reliabley in OL 2002), so my next
> option is to do a MACRO. Can I create a macro (that launches in excel
> ideally!) to modify an existing rule?
>
> Thanks
> Bruce

Sue Mosher [MVP]

See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/quarexe.htm for a simple example of watching for new Inbox items and moving some to a new folder. Your variation would involve looking at addresses. If you mean the From address, see http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getsenderaddy.htm.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message news:Adwob.69826$HS4.625205@attbi_s01...

> Do you know of any samples that will look at email as it comes in, and then
> match it to a list of given addresses, and then move it to a folder?

BruceJ

Sue, after spending more time on your site, I came across something that
sounded _VERY_ much workable to me! That is a RULE with "Sender is in
SPECIFIED Address Book".

This LOOKS like it is just what I would need....

If I can get THIS to work, then all I need to do is to update the contact
with then new info when I am looking for emails. Hopefully I can figure out
how to do this with VBA!!!

Great, Bruce. You might find this code useful, too: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm

"BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message news2Uob.80019$e01.263179@attbi_s02...
> Sue, after spending more time on your site, I came across something that
> sounded _VERY_ much workable to me! That is a RULE with "Sender is in
> SPECIFIED Address Book".
>
> This LOOKS like it is just what I would need....
>
> If I can get THIS to work, then all I need to do is to update the contact
> with then new info when I am looking for emails. Hopefully I can figure out
> how to do this with VBA!!!
>

> Thanks
> Bruce
>

> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/quarexe.htm for a simple example of
> watching for new Inbox items and moving some to a new folder. Your variation
> would involve looking at addresses. If you mean the From address, see
> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getsenderaddy.htm.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com
> Author of
> Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
> for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
> http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>
> "BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Do you know of any samples that will look at email as it comes in, and

> then
> > match it to a list of given addresses, and then move it to a folder?

BruceJ

Sue,

Thanks for the link!
I tried the code, but, it did not work....
I even put a msgbox inthe code so I could see if it was getting to the code.
It is not. I did put it in the correct folder, as per the instructions.

Right now, my outlook is REALLLLLLLLYYYYYYY SLOWWWWW so I can not get there
to pull out the code I put in. (I am cleaning out my pst file right now, and
then going to run scanpst. I do have lots of JUNK and VIRUS emails. I need
to purge those out and get my PST file smaller. It is currentlly over 1 g,
and I need to watch out. Does 2002 still have the issue with 1.2 (I think
that was the right size) files cuasing data to get lost and not being able
to access your data? I think I am up to the current patches. This maybe
should be a seperate email....

Back to the origianal issue...

Now, is there a way, I can do something similar from EXCEL? I use the VBA to
send out all of the email I am actually looking for. All of the email I send
out of OL, I don't need to put into the fold, as I do not need to follow
their email perse. Or does it need to be called from Outlook?

"Sue Mosher [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Great, Bruce. You might find this code useful, too:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm

"BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message
news2Uob.80019$e01.263179@attbi_s02...
> Sue, after spending more time on your site, I came across something that
> sounded _VERY_ much workable to me! That is a RULE with "Sender is in
> SPECIFIED Address Book".
>
> This LOOKS like it is just what I would need....
>
> If I can get THIS to work, then all I need to do is to update the contact
> with then new info when I am looking for emails. Hopefully I can figure

out
> how to do this with VBA!!!
>

> Thanks
> Bruce
>

> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/quarexe.htm for a simple example of
> watching for new Inbox items and moving some to a new folder. Your

variation
> would involve looking at addresses. If you mean the From address, see
> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getsenderaddy.htm.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com
> Author of
> Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
> for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
> http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>
> "BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Do you know of any samples that will look at email as it comes in, and

> then
> > match it to a list of given addresses, and then move it to a folder?

Sue Mosher [MVP]

Outlook 2003 adds a new format for PST files that allows them to be nearly unlimited in size.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message news:M3vqb.128842$HS4.1023070@attbi_s01...

> Right now, my outlook is REALLLLLLLLYYYYYYY SLOWWWWW so I can not get there
> to pull out the code I put in. (I am cleaning out my pst file right now, and
> then going to run scanpst. I do have lots of JUNK and VIRUS emails. I need
> to purge those out and get my PST file smaller. It is currentlly over 1 g,
> and I need to watch out. Does 2002 still have the issue with 1.2 (I think
> that was the right size) files cuasing data to get lost and not being able
> to access your data? I think I am up to the current patches. This maybe
> should be a seperate email....

Sue Mosher [MVP]

Did you check your macro security settings -- Tools | Macro | Security? Does other VBA code run?

If you're using Excel to send out the mail, then you should be able to adapt the code I provided to add the same functionality (checking addresses and creating contacts) to your Excel routines.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message news:M3vqb.128842$HS4.1023070@attbi_s01...

> Thanks for the link!
> I tried the code, but, it did not work....
> I even put a msgbox inthe code so I could see if it was getting to the code.
> It is not. I did put it in the correct folder, as per the instructions.
>
> Back to the origianal issue...
>
> Now, is there a way, I can do something similar from EXCEL? I use the VBA to
> send out all of the email I am actually looking for. All of the email I send
> out of OL, I don't need to put into the fold, as I do not need to follow
> their email perse. Or does it need to be called from Outlook?
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Great, Bruce. You might find this code useful, too:
> http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm
>
> "BruceJ" <oe*NOSPAM*@connecting4income.com> wrote in message
> news2Uob.80019$e01.263179@attbi_s02...
> > Sue, after spending more time on your site, I came across something that
> > sounded _VERY_ much workable to me! That is a RULE with "Sender is in
> > SPECIFIED Address Book".
> >
> > This LOOKS like it is just what I would need....
> >
> > If I can get THIS to work, then all I need to do is to update the contact
> > with then new info when I am looking for emails. Hopefully I can figure

> out
> > how to do this with VBA!!!

BruceJ

I D/L redemption, and installed it. I then tried to register it in VB (I
have 2 entries for SafeOutlookLibrary and both point to redemption.dll) When
I restarted OL 2002, I got an error that it could not find extend.dat (or
extra.dat if I look in event log. I THOUGHT it said extend.dat ) (I cleared
the message, as I thought I would be able to get it again by restarting O/L-
I have not been able to get the error again….)

I have pressed ALT-11, starting the VBA editor, and then browsed to
ThisOutlookSession and pasted the whole code section there. I have since
moved all but the first section into a diff module.

I then tried to run it by creating a new email to a address that was not in
the contacts folder. I did not get any response. I then put a msgbox in the
code, expecting it to pop the message box, it did not. I am NOT familiar
with O/L for VBA, but I have done some in EXCEL, so it SHOULD be similair…

What am I missing?

Also, how whould I change the contact address book to work with? Would I
change the line

Set colContacts = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts).Items

To something like Set colContacts = “NewAddressBook”

Thanks for taking the time to read and to respond to this.

I have not tried any other VBA code. I have not had any need for it. what
would be a good one to just test something?

I have signed the code with selfcert and I have also put security to LOW.