Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > hardware vs software security

hardware vs software security

Leythos

says...
> What's the best protection from hackers, a router or software like Zone Alarms?
> or do I require both?

I would start with the router to keep uninvited guests from even
reaching your network/system. With that in mind, you should also install
something like ZA as a secondary measure and to catch anything that does
make it through the router. Routers are a one-way type device, the block
in the inbound, but don't block anything outbound.

ZA will block in both directions, but you don't really want ZA to be
your first line of defense if you can install a router too. I don't like
the idea of exposing any computer directly to the public (even with ZA
installed).

If you install ZA without the router, you will see a lot of activity in
the logs. If you install a router and ZA your ZA logs will be mostly
empty.

Don't forget to install a quality anti-virus package. I've used Norton
AV (not NIS or other flavors) on my personal computers for years and
found that it catches everything that's ever come my way.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Lee Higdon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--
Randy F. Smith
iBox Technologies

A router, properly setup, would be your best bet, after you properly take
steps to secure your OS. A PFW gives added protection, but isn't the final
solution.

donutbandit

"Randy F. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> ------=_NextPart_001_0054_01C39A20.4EA25BC0
> What's the best protection from hackers, a router or software like
> Zone Alarms? or do I require both?

Are you on dialup or broadband?

Generally, a personal firewall is enough for dialup users. On broadband,
I'd use a router.

You are going to get all kinds of suggestions and arguments over what is
best. Personally, I'm on dialup, and I find Kerio Personal Firewall to be
just fine, and all I need.

I wouldn't have Zone Alarm on my computer if someone paid me to, but even
that stirs up aruguments, and this is really not a firewall group.

Just think about this - ZA Free is crippleware, and just why does that
kernel have to be connected to ZA Central at all times? What is it telling
them? Spyware masquerading as a firewall?

Randy F. Smith

What's the best protection from hackers, a router or software like Zone Alarms?
or do I require both?

--
Randy F. Smith
iBox Technologies
Industrial & Security Computer Cabinets
www.iboxcabinets.com

Chuck

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:16:44 -0700, "Randy F. Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What's the best protection from hackers, a router or software like Zone Alarms?
>or do I require both?

The best defense is a layered strategy.
1) Hardware: NAT router, preferably with SPI.
2) Software: Personal firewall, Religiously configured and patched.
3) Software: Current and Religiously used virus detection /
protection..
4) Software: Current and Religiously used spyware detection /
protection.
5) Software: Properly configured and patched operating system and
applications.
6) Social: Use common sense on the internet. Don't open dodgy email
with a permissive html based email application. Don't surf the web to
questionable websites with a non-hardened browser (i.e., IE). Don't
apply patches mailed to you by Microsoft. Don't accept advice from a
computer security expert running Windows 9x who has a website on
GeoSlums.

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

donutbandit

Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Don't accept advice from a
> computer security expert running Windows 9x who has a website on
> GeoSlums.

Windows 9X has proven itself to be far more secure than NT/2000/XP, so the
"expert" running it is likely a hell of a lot smarter than you are.

While you were busy patching your NT based system against Lovsan and Swen,
we 9X users were laughing. We don't have to deal with DCOM, and RPCSS.EXE
is to us just a quiet little app that sits in the Windows folder and does
absolutely nothing.

We also don't have to validate our registration with Microshit every time
we change anything about our OS.

I don't know exactly who you were targeting with this remark, but GeoSlums,
as you call it, is a viable place to maintain a free webpage.

*Noting YOUR email address - Yahoo?*

Jeff Umbach

So you never read the RFCs which pointed out that the vulnerability exists
on ALL versions of Windows? Yes, ALL versions includes 9x.

Not to mention also that 9x has no security whatsoever on it's desktop and
file shares.

--
Jeff Umbach

"donutbandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Don't accept advice from a
> > computer security expert running Windows 9x who has a website on
> > GeoSlums.
> >

> Windows 9X has proven itself to be far more secure than NT/2000/XP, so the
> "expert" running it is likely a hell of a lot smarter than you are.
>
> While you were busy patching your NT based system against Lovsan and Swen,
> we 9X users were laughing. We don't have to deal with DCOM, and RPCSS.EXE
> is to us just a quiet little app that sits in the Windows folder and does
> absolutely nothing.
>
> We also don't have to validate our registration with Microshit every time
> we change anything about our OS.
>
> I don't know exactly who you were targeting with this remark, but

GeoSlums,
> as you call it, is a viable place to maintain a free webpage.
>
> *Noting YOUR email address - Yahoo?*

jayjwa

Chuck wrote:

> The best defense is a layered strategy.
> 1) Hardware: NAT router, preferably with SPI.
> 2) Software: Personal firewall, Religiously configured and patched.
> 3) Software: Current and Religiously used virus detection /
> protection..
> 4) Software: Current and Religiously used spyware detection /
> protection.
> 5) Software: Properly configured and patched operating system and
> applications.
> 6) Social: Use common sense on the internet. Don't open dodgy email
> with a permissive html based email application. Don't surf the web to
> questionable websites with a non-hardened browser (i.e., IE). Don't
> apply patches mailed to you by Microsoft.

Yeah! And don't take candy from strangers!!

Don't accept advice from a
> computer security expert running Windows 9x who has a website on
> GeoSlums.

I know who that is!!

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=The New Atr2.Ath.Cx=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
- jayjwa *Https Only* Mod-SSL / PGP Key / CA Onsite

Jim Watt

On 24 Oct 2003 13:37:11 -0500, Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don't accept advice from a computer security expert running
>Windows 9x

Ohhhhhhh that includes me.

What exactly is the problem? It seems to work OK do
I really need XP to run a web browser and Agent?

To answer the original question, having a router with
NAT, a personal firewall to trap outgoing crap, updating
the AV frequently and running spybot and exercising
caution on what to run seems to work well for me.

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Jim Watt

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:40:32 GMT, "Jeff Umbach"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not to mention also that 9x has no security whatsoever on it's desktop and
>file shares.

It requires a password, and if you are behind NAT on the router
how exactly is anyone going to share your disk?
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com