Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > system password

system password

Paul Gower

I would like to set a password on my PC so that it cannot be used without my
knowledge / supervision.

I have today entered the BIOS set up screen (hitting DEL during the start up
routine) and set a "user password". I saved and exited, and then let the PC
finish its boot up.I then shut down and restarted - eagerly awaiting the
prompt to enter my new password. Nothing happened.
I went back into the BIOS and discovered that all that the password did was
protect the BIOS settings.

Did I miss something here? I am certain that it must be possible to set a
password that is requested before windows even opens. (I know that there are
options for different user settings in windows - but that will still allow
access to the machine.
Please would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
My machine is a running XP home.
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Jim Watt

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:00:15 +0100, "Paul Gower"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to set a password on my PC so that it cannot be used without my
>knowledge / supervision.
>
>I have today entered the BIOS set up screen (hitting DEL during the start up
>routine) and set a "user password". I saved and exited, and then let the PC
>finish its boot up.I then shut down and restarted - eagerly awaiting the
>prompt to enter my new password. Nothing happened.
>I went back into the BIOS and discovered that all that the password did was
>protect the BIOS settings.
>
>Did I miss something here? I am certain that it must be possible to set a
>password that is requested before windows even opens. (I know that there are
>options for different user settings in windows - but that will still allow
>access to the machine.
>Please would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
>My machine is a running XP home.
>Thanks in advance,
>Paul

The machine OS is not relevent as its a matter of the BIOS
capability. Generally you can chose to [protect either the
CMOS settings with a password, or the machine by having
to enter it before it boots the OS

Look again at the options.
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

splatter

"Paul Gower" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn98pi$arn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to set a password on my PC so that it cannot be used without

my
> knowledge / supervision.
>
> I have today entered the BIOS set up screen (hitting DEL during the start

up
> routine) and set a "user password". I saved and exited, and then let the

PC
> finish its boot up.I then shut down and restarted - eagerly awaiting the
> prompt to enter my new password. Nothing happened.
> I went back into the BIOS and discovered that all that the password did

was
> protect the BIOS settings.
>
> Did I miss something here? I am certain that it must be possible to set a
> password that is requested before windows even opens. (I know that there

are
> options for different user settings in windows - but that will still allow
> access to the machine.
> Please would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
> My machine is a running XP home.
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Different BIOS's have different setups as far as passwords. Most only
prevent changing the BIOS, some I guess from what your posting do more,
although I haven't seen it.

The main use for the BIOS password is to prevent someone from changing the
settings, not only to prevent mess-ups but also to stop someone with
physical access from booting from an disk and into another OS to crack the
systems passwords .

If your BIOS doesn't support this, a similar thing could be done using a
boot-loader program to enter into Windows, but before you get into that let
me ask you a question.
What's wrong with just disabling the XP guest account and passwording your
account to prevent users from getting onto the box?

DP

Jim Watt

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:58:02 -0400, "splatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Different BIOS's have different setups as far as passwords. Most only
>prevent changing the BIOS,

No, most allow two levels of password protection, one which locks
the CMOS settings and another that prevents the machine booting.

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Mimic

There should be a setting in the BIOS like so (for the password)

Setup
Startup

You want setup

--
Mimic

and those that dont."
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

"Paul Gower" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn98pi$arn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to set a password on my PC so that it cannot be used without

my
> knowledge / supervision.
>
> I have today entered the BIOS set up screen (hitting DEL during the start

up
> routine) and set a "user password". I saved and exited, and then let the

PC
> finish its boot up.I then shut down and restarted - eagerly awaiting the
> prompt to enter my new password. Nothing happened.
> I went back into the BIOS and discovered that all that the password did

was
> protect the BIOS settings.
>
> Did I miss something here? I am certain that it must be possible to set a
> password that is requested before windows even opens. (I know that there

are
> options for different user settings in windows - but that will still allow
> access to the machine.
> Please would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
> My machine is a running XP home.
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Mimic

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:58:02 -0400, "splatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Different BIOS's have different setups as far as passwords. Most only
> >prevent changing the BIOS,

> No, most allow two levels of password protection, one which locks
> the CMOS settings and another that prevents the machine booting.
>

> --
> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

uhuh i agree with jimmy

--
Mimic

and those that dont."
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

Bit Tamer

You should contact either (a) the PC manufacturer, especially if it's an HP,
to see what they say; or (b) the motherboard manufacturer, to see if the
current BIOS version (or an update) supports user passwords.

I bought an HP Pavilion for my son to take to college. Turns out the custom
HP BIOS (even though it has an Asus motherboard) does not support power on
passwords...not good when the machine is accessible to dozens of college
students in a dorm. That was the first indication (to me) of how much those
"mainstream" manufacturers strip out of their machines. I didn't want to
risk applying a non-HP approved (Asus) BIOS, so he was stuck until I got
WinXP loaded on it came with WinME.) OTOH, a Dell we purchased DID have a
power on password, which is why I never thought to ask before buying the HP.
(But the Dell's Intel M/B did have some components removed.) And a much
older Gateway 2000 (also Intel m/b.) had one, too.

If a power on password isn't supported, the next best thing is to define
passwords on all user accounts in WinXP. I'm sure there are ways to break
in, but it's better than nothing.

Bit Tamer

"Paul Gower" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn98pi$arn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to set a password on my PC so that it cannot be used without

my
> knowledge / supervision.
>
> I have today entered the BIOS set up screen (hitting DEL during the start

up
> routine) and set a "user password". I saved and exited, and then let the

PC
> finish its boot up.I then shut down and restarted - eagerly awaiting the
> prompt to enter my new password. Nothing happened.
> I went back into the BIOS and discovered that all that the password did

was
> protect the BIOS settings.
>
> Did I miss something here? I am certain that it must be possible to set a
> password that is requested before windows even opens. (I know that there

are
> options for different user settings in windows - but that will still allow
> access to the machine.
> Please would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
> My machine is a running XP home.
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Jim Watt

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:35:50 +0100, "Mimic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There should be a setting in the BIOS like so (for the password)
>
>Setup
>Startup
>
>You want setup

Uh could there be some mystake there?

However, the main function of having a password entered via the BIOS
code is to protect the machine. Although there might be machines
where it only protects the CMOS settings, in many years of poking at
many many different machines I've not encountered it.

Indeed having a password to protect the settings is a very weak
defence as its easily removed.

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Mimic

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:35:50 +0100, "Mimic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >There should be a setting in the BIOS like so (for the password)
> >
> >Setup
> >Startup
> >
> >You want setup

> Uh could there be some mystake there?
>
> However, the main function of having a password entered via the BIOS
> code is to protect the machine. Although there might be machines
> where it only protects the CMOS settings, in many years of poking at
> many many different machines I've not encountered it.
>
> Indeed having a password to protect the settings is a very weak
> defence as its easily removed.
>

> --
> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

yup indeedy there is a mistake, it either says :

Setup
or
Startup / Boot(up)

Its the second one the OP needs, providing its present in his BIOS of course