Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > NAV 2004 (Purchase or Subscription for 2003)?

NAV 2004 (Purchase or Subscription for 2003)?

Charlie Chapman

I'm debating whether to purchase the upgrade to NAV 2004 ($30 + shipping) or just purchase
a new subscription for my 2003 version ($20, no shipping). I checked the web site and do
not see a great many added features for the 2004 version. Any thoughts on added value in
2004 over 2003?
Thanks
Charlie
Charlie Chapman
NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

Frode

sponge

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:59:44 -0700, Charlie Chapman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm debating whether to purchase the upgrade to NAV 2004 ($30 +

shipping) or just purchase
>a new subscription for my 2003 version ($20, no shipping). I checked

the web site and do
>not see a great many added features for the 2004 version. Any

thoughts on added value in
>2004 over 2003?
>Thanks
>Charlie
>************************************************* *****
>Charlie Chapman
>NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
of RATs, for one. They were also supposed to add in spyware detection,
but if they did they don't seem to compare to free stuff like SpyBot
or Ad-Aware -- at least I haven't heard anything about it.
Also, a lot of people are dumping it because they are really irked by
the DRM scheme Symantec is using now, which some say is even more
invasive than the one Intuit packaged along with Turbo Tax.

Sponge
Sponge's Secure Solutions
www.geocities.com/yosponge
My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
[snip]
> Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
> better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
> the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
> of RATs, for one. They were also supposed to add in spyware detection,

NAV is a great product, even the 2004 version. If you want spyware
detection, which is something that is not a virus, then you should be
using something else.

A antivirus application should protect you from virus applications, and
NAV does that better than any product I've used in 10 years.

As for spyware and such - SpyBot Search and Destroy works great for it's
intended target and it a very easy to use product.

I do not like NIS or their other products, but NAV is great.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Gus

sponge wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:59:44 -0700, Charlie Chapman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm debating whether to purchase the upgrade to NAV 2004 ($30 +

> shipping) or just purchase
>
>>a new subscription for my 2003 version ($20, no shipping). I checked

> the web site and do
>
>>not see a great many added features for the 2004 version. Any

> thoughts on added value in
>
>>2004 over 2003?
>>Thanks
>>Charlie
>>************************************************ ******
>>Charlie Chapman
>>NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

> Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
> better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
> the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
> of RATs, for one.

"RAT"?

Virus

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> [snip]
> > Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
> > better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
> > the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
> > of RATs, for one. They were also supposed to add in spyware detection,

> NAV is a great product, even the 2004 version. If you want spyware
> detection, which is something that is not a virus, then you should be
> using something else.

nav2004 pro contains spyware detection.. and protections from trojans, joke
programs...
it's not great programm, it's just solid, it uses too much of system
resources, cpu and memory, even on stronger computers

my suggestion is nod32 + some firewall (Sygate or Outpost or something like
these), spybot and adaware

I personally use NOD32 and Sygate, never had to use adaware and spybot, they
found nothing on my system,
on work i use sophos antivirus and no firewall (did not had any problems so
far.. ), but sophos is little complicated to update on network

> A antivirus application should protect you from virus applications, and
> NAV does that better than any product I've used in 10 years.
>
> As for spyware and such - SpyBot Search and Destroy works great for it's
> intended target and it a very easy to use product.
>
> I do not like NIS or their other products, but NAV is great.

> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

NAV, NAV 5x.... Norton Anit-Virus?? MrDave Microsoft Certification 0 08-09-2009 07:48 PM
Removing NAV 2004 Ian H Computer Support 8 05-24-2004 04:28 AM
NAV 2004 simon Computer Support 10 05-07-2004 05:22 AM
NAV 2004 with Win2000 K-More Computer Support 1 10-09-2003 09:58 PM
Problems installing NAV 2004 Pro maderic Computer Support 4 09-08-2003 10:46 PM

Advertisments