Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Why would my keyboard "phone home"?

Why would my keyboard "phone home"?

Bill

My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.

Why would it want to do that?

Use.Netuser.de

It's probably just trying to converse with M$. Once registered you'll get no
support as usual.

news:8amhb.64951$(E-Mail Removed) om...
: My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
:
: Why would it want to do that?
:
:

Chuck

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
>
>Why would it want to do that?

Bill,

Actually, there is a logical explanation for that happening - I read
about it in another discussion somewhere (where? no idea). The
conclusion is that is was probably logical from the manufacturer's
point of view, but not permitted by a security conscious user.

Why not give us details, so we can see if your circumstances are
benign?

Cheers,

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

Bumblebee

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...

>My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
>
>Why would it want to do that?

I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
access the internet. I think they are trying to Register with MS or it
could be that they are wanting to check for new versions of software.
I don't worry about it, ZAP blocks them and that is the end of it.
--

Chris Bee

Colonel Flagg

In article <8amhb.64951$(E-Mail Removed) >, st6
> My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
>
> Why would it want to do that?

because it's lonely?

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Filip van Laenen

"Bumblebee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...
>
> >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
> >
> >Why would it want to do that?

> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
> access the internet. I think they are trying to Register with MS or it
> could be that they are wanting to check for new versions of software.
> I don't worry about it, ZAP blocks them and that is the end of it.
> --
>
> Chris Bee

My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
and of course ZA blocks it. It has been doing so for a year, and if say my
computer is on about five hours each day, it has tried more than 100,000
times now. (If I would have left the computer on the whole day, it would
have been more than 500,000 times by now.) Why can't they just put in a
dialog, ask me whether I want to register, and if I answer źno╗ leave it at
that???

Filip

Bumblebee

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...

>"Bumblebee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...
>>
>> >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
>> >
>> >Why would it want to do that?

>> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
>> access the internet.

>My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
>now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
>and of course ZA blocks it.
>
>Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
>and if I answer źno╗ leave it at that???

Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
another manufacturer does the same thing.
Another thing that bugs me, if I click on Help using Win XP, immediately
I get asked: "do you want Help to access the internet?" so ZAP now
blocks that too. If I want to visit a Microsoft Help page I prefer it to
be my decision and not be taken there automatically.

Whinge over now.
--

Chris Bee

John E. Carty

"Bumblebee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...
>
> >"Bumblebee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>
> >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...

today.

> >> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
> >> access the internet.

> >My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The

problem
> >now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone

home,
> >and of course ZA blocks it.
> >
> >Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
> >and if I answer źno╗ leave it at that???

> Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
> another manufacturer does the same thing.
> Another thing that bugs me, if I click on Help using Win XP, immediately
> I get asked: "do you want Help to access the internet?" so ZAP now
> blocks that too. If I want to visit a Microsoft Help page I prefer it to
> be my decision and not be taken there automatically.
>
> Whinge over now.
> --
>
> Chris Bee

Anybody ever use a Lexmark printer and have it phone home? Seems some of
their driver disks (in the past, not sure about now) also loaded software
which sent out your system information. One reason why I refuse to buy their
printers

Chris

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Bumblebee wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...
>
> >"Bumblebee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>
> >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...

> >> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
> >> access the internet.

> >My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
> >now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
> >and of course ZA blocks it.
> >
> >Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
> >and if I answer źno╗ leave it at that???

> Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
> another manufacturer does the same thing.

Excuse me if I'm wrong.. but arn't all the above posted by users of an M$
operating system? You're right in pointing out that M$ arn't the only
ones to be operating improperly, but this functionality is only possible
because the OS (and/or drivers) permits such behaviour.. if this OS is M$,
then perhaps we can blame them a little more than you suggest..?

Just an thought anyway.. I have never had such issues, but do not use M$
based OS's.. who knows if the keyboards/mice I use would have tried to
'phone home' under another OS. maybe even some non-M$ OS's..

--
Chris (BALDRICK) Remove "^nospam^." to reply.
PGP Key fingerprint = C138 73D1 B970 57D1 B90C 7616 E350 2F4C 5416 2DE2

Bit Twister

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:50:30 +0100, Chris wrote:

> Excuse me if I'm wrong.. but arn't all the above posted by users of an M$
> operating system? You're right in pointing out that M$ arn't the only
> ones to be operating improperly, but this functionality is only possible
> because the OS (and/or drivers) permits such behaviour.. if this OS is M$,
> then perhaps we can blame them a little more than you suggest..?
>
> Just an thought anyway.. I have never had such issues, but do not use M$
> based OS's.. who knows if the keyboards/mice I use would have tried to
> 'phone home' under another OS. maybe even some non-M$ OS's..

I would suggest that the phone home code is in the mouse/kb driver and
not the hardware. Now it would be a toss up as to which is phoning
home, the os or hardware driver. I mean it could be M$ crying that it
is not a M$ mouse/kb or the hardware vendor wanting to know some
"marketing" information.

It might be informative to know if letting it phone home once, makes
it quit, or if it is phoning home everytime you boot.