Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip

Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip

Tarkus

Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET

After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
chip may be to blame.

As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
encoded."

Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
soften significantly."

Though Samsung has yet to issue any formal statements regarding the
apparent faulty chip, the company's senior vice president of marketing
for its Audio and Video Products Group Jim Sanduski confirmed to The
Perfect Vision that the company is working to fix the problem on future
shipments of the BD-P1000, and also plans to issue a firmware upgrade to
correct the problem on current players.

"Samsung is currently working to revise the default settings on the
noise-reduction circuit in the Genesis scaler chip to sharpen the
picture," Sanduski is quoting as saying. "All future Samsung BD-P1000
production will have this revision and we are working to develop a
firmware update for existing product."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...aulty_Chip/144
--
"You little SOB. If I ever catch you I'm going to shove a sausage
down your throat and stick starving dogs up your butt."

Now playing: "The Jelly Jam - Maybe"

Rich

Tarkus wrote:
> Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
> Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET
>
> After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
> first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
> chip may be to blame.
>
> As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
> Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
> that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
> match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
> encoded."
>
> Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
> the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
> soften significantly."

Typical Samsung sewage. Whatever happened to JAPANESE players?

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tarkus wrote:
>> Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
>> Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET
>>
>> After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
>> first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
>> chip may be to blame.
>>
>> As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
>> Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
>> that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
>> match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
>> encoded."
>>
>> Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
>> the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
>> soften significantly."
>>

>Typical Samsung sewage. Whatever happened to JAPANESE players?

Cheap ass consumers "happened" to japanese players. Its when we all started
to demand $25 dvd players and throw away tv's and vcr's that this happened.

Phat Bytestard

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:22:20 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) Gave us:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Tarkus wrote:
>>> Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
>>> Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET
>>>
>>> After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
>>> first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
>>> chip may be to blame.
>>>
>>> As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
>>> Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
>>> that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
>>> match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
>>> encoded."
>>>
>>> Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
>>> the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
>>> soften significantly."
>>>

>>Typical Samsung sewage. Whatever happened to JAPANESE players?
>>

>Cheap ass consumers "happened" to japanese players. Its when we all started
>to demand $25 dvd players and throw away tv's and vcr's that this happened.

Nope. Other countries got involved as their economies evolved, and
they took on more and more industry, and instead of being mere
contract manufacturers, they started to make some of their own ****.

Problem is that some of it really is ****.

They do make good displays though.