Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Routing a second subnet down a VPN

Routing a second subnet down a VPN

Gary

We have a VPN up between 2 end points and need to route a second subnet.

Do I need to run some routing protocol down the VPN to send a second subnet
the right way ?

Gary

Walter Roberson

In article <fghwb.14120$yM6.6995@lakeread06>,
Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:We have a VPN up between 2 end points and need to route a second subnet.

o I need to run some routing protocol down the VPN to send a second subnet
:the right way ?

Probably not. Likely at most you need to use a 'route' statement.
--
Can a statement be self-referential without knowing it?

Networkguy

1. We have a VPN up between 2 end points and need to route a second subnet.

If you are running a true VRF with a Service Provider, then your local
endpoint (CE router), is is only significantly attached to your directly
assigned endpoint(PE router), at each entry point into the Service Provider
cloud. If you are currently running a routing protocol like OSPF, IS-IS,
then that network will be carried from your local VRF instance, across the
cloud.

2. Do I need to run some routing protocol down the VPN to send a second
subnet the right way ?

Remember the VPN is transparent across the "cloud", and depending on the
route descriptor, and route target import/export that you have setup with
your provider.
Just keep in mind that if you are running OSPF between you (CE router), and
the Service Provider (PE router), that the Service Provider will more than
likely be running OSPF area 0 in their "core". Thus all non area 0 routes
being received on the far end will appear as inter-area, IA routes. If you
have more than 1 entry/exit point to your network on either end, you may
need to consider having the Service Provider set up a "sham-link". If this
is not an issue, you should be able to add the route statements on your VPN
on one side, and receive the routes on the far end.