Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "All The President's Men": DVD Doesn't Seem Right....?

"All The President's Men": DVD Doesn't Seem Right....?

(PeteCresswell)

Got this DVD last week and am wondering.

ISBN 0-7909-3295-5 above the bar code and 12569 10182 below.

Bought it at a major retailer so already I suspect that
my doubts are misplaced.

Having said that:
- It has plenty of "language", but no PG dialog in the beginning.

- It has no warnings/threats about unauthorized copying.

- When I put it into a player, it just shows the movie... (geeze,
what a novelty...)

- Although the picture quality isn't atrocious enough to suggest
something that was filmed by hand inside a movie theater, it's
definitely a few notches below what I've come to take for granted
in a DVD movie.

Just sloppy work? Or is there really a chance that somebody could have
slipped a fake into a major retailer's inventory?
--
PeteCresswell

xeaglecrest@att.net

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> - When I put it into a player, it just shows the movie... (geeze,
> what a novelty...)

This is one of Warner's early releases. When you put the disc in, it
just starts playing the movie. It has a menu, but you have to select it
with the remote. Don't you wish every disc worked this way!

Derek Janssen

> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>

>>- When I put it into a player, it just shows the movie... (geeze,
>> what a novelty...)

> This is one of Warner's early releases. When you put the disc in, it
> just starts playing the movie. It has a menu, but you have to select it
> with the remote. Don't you wish every disc worked this way!

IIRC, Warner since revisited the title with a "real" 2-disk version, if
you want more professional-looking disk mastering.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

(PeteCresswell)

Per Derek Janssen:
>IIRC, Warner since revisited the title with a "real" 2-disk version, if
>you want more professional-looking disk mastering.

Would the video quality be any better - or is that some artifact of the original
film?
--
PeteCresswell

Derek Janssen

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Derek Janssen:
>
>>IIRC, Warner since revisited the title with a "real" 2-disk version, if
>>you want more professional-looking disk mastering.

> Would the video quality be any better - or is that some artifact of the original
> film?

Just about ANY recent Warner 2-re-disking looks better--

Think of Warner's early birth-of-DVD disks like Disney's "Limited
Editions"...Back then, they thought all you had to do was put the
videotape copy into a new shape.
(Need we mention, the new version also has menu and extras.)

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

xeaglecrest@att.net

Derek Janssen wrote:

> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> > Per Derek Janssen:

> (Need we mention, the new version also has menu ....)

The original version also has a menu, it just doesn't come up first.