Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Can I recover lost DVD-RW

Can I recover lost DVD-RW

Don

I have a pack of Packard Bell DVD-RW which I had filled with backup
files, videos etc. To give me space for future storage I erased three
DVDs, which contained files I no longer require, using Veritas Recordnow
DX software. My reader/rewriter no longer recognises these discs and
reports that "no disc is present."

Is there any way in which I can recover the use of these DVD-RW discs or
are they lost for ever?

I have learnt that if I endeavour to burn a file on to a full disc I am
given the chance to overwrite the old files and this appears to work
satisfactorily.

I would appreciate any advice - thank you.
--
Don

NoNoBadDog!

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a pack of Packard Bell DVD-RW which I had filled with backup files,
>videos etc. To give me space for future storage I erased three DVDs, which
>contained files I no longer require, using Veritas Recordnow DX software.
>My reader/rewriter no longer recognises these discs and reports that "no
>disc is present."
>
> Is there any way in which I can recover the use of these DVD-RW discs or
> are they lost for ever?
>
> I have learnt that if I endeavour to burn a file on to a full disc I am
> given the chance to overwrite the old files and this appears to work
> satisfactorily.
>
> I would appreciate any advice - thank you.
> --
> Don

Insert a disc in drive. Open My Computer, right click on the drive that the
disc is in, and select "Format".

Bobby

Man-wai Chang

> Insert a disc in drive. Open My Computer, right click on the drive that the
> disc is in, and select "Format".

That only re-use the disc, but not recovering anything.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.06) Linux 2.6.17.3

Don

In message <44af8d9b$(E-Mail Removed)-cable.com>, Man-wai Chang
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> Insert a disc in drive. Open My Computer, right click on the drive that the
>> disc is in, and select "Format".

Thanks Bobby. I have tried this but my computer does not offer me the
opportunity to Format when I right click the drive as you suggested.
Nor is there the chance to format when looking under File. I can format
a floppy disc but apparently not a rewritable disc, unless someone can
suggest another method. I am using Windows xp home edition.
>That only re-use the disc, but not recovering anything.

I am not worried about losing what was on the disc. Thanks for the
warning.

--
Don

Man-wai Chang

> floppy disc but apparently not a rewritable disc, unless someone can
> suggest another method. I am using Windows xp home edition.
>> That only re-use the disc, but not recovering anything.

> I am not worried about losing what was on the disc. Thanks for the warning.

Are you using Nero? It has an Erase Disc option.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.06) Linux 2.6.17.3
^ ^ 20:23:01 up 7 days 8:42 0 users load average: 0.15 0.08 0.02
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk