Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Netflix rating system?

Netflix rating system?

Russ

I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
is what I found.

138 people gave it one star.
110 gave it two stars
73 gave it three stars
47 gave it 4 stars
23 gave it 5 stars.

Which equals 391

Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
average rating? divide by 5?

Somehow with numbers like those above shouldn't it be more around 2
stars? Is Net Flix being honest with their math or are they just
trying to push dud movies on us.

SoHillsGuy

Russ wrote:
> I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
> across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
> most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
> So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
> is what I found.
>
> 138 people gave it one star.
> 110 gave it two stars
> 73 gave it three stars
> 47 gave it 4 stars
> 23 gave it 5 stars.
>
> Which equals 391
>
> Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
> average rating? divide by 5?

First of all, you wouldn't divide by five. You'd do the average like
this:

138 who gave it one star = 138 total stars
110 who gave it two stars = 220 total stars
73 who gave it three stars = 219 total stars
47 who gave it four stars = 188 total stars
23 who gave it five stars = 115 total stars

Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
stars average.

However, I'm not entirely sure where you're getting these vote totals.
Are these from people who wrote reviews? If so, then this isn't the
actual vote totals. Anyone on Netflix can post a star vote on any disc
without writing a review. So, if you took those votes from only those
who posted a written review, then this is likely only a small portion
of the real total votes.

jwb

"SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> 138 who gave it one star = 138 total stars
> 110 who gave it two stars = 220 total stars
> 73 who gave it three stars = 219 total stars
> 47 who gave it four stars = 188 total stars
> 23 who gave it five stars = 115 total stars
>
> Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
> stars average.

which they probably round up, since they don't seem to do "half stars"

SoHillsGuy

jwb wrote:
> "SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
> > stars average.

> which they probably round up, since they don't seem to do "half stars"

That's not true. Their site is covered with ratings that include
fractional stars of all sizes.

jwb

"SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> jwb wrote:
>> "SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Add up the stars (880) and divide by total reviewers (391) for 2.25
>> > stars average.

>> which they probably round up, since they don't seem to do "half stars"

> That's not true. Their site is covered with ratings that include
> fractional stars of all sizes.

didn't notice (or, I should say, I didn't bother to look before posting, and
was going by memory, which is obviously faulty). But yes, you are correct.

So yea, the original question is valid - why three stars for the movie,
then?

Nonymous

"Russ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1151391598.197076.241380
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
> across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
> most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
> So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
> is what I found.
>
> 138 people gave it one star.
> 110 gave it two stars
> 73 gave it three stars
> 47 gave it 4 stars
> 23 gave it 5 stars.
>
> Which equals 391
>
> Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
> average rating? divide by 5?

The stars dont show the average rating. The stars are an estimate of what
you'd give the movie were you to watch it. It's computed by comparing your
movie ratings against the ratings of everybody else that watched the same
movies as you. Of course if you haven't rated any/many movies, then the
stars really do behave more like average ratings.

so.noted@yahoo.com

Russ wrote:
> I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
> across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
> most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
> So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
> is what I found.
>
> 138 people gave it one star.
> 110 gave it two stars
> 73 gave it three stars
> 47 gave it 4 stars
> 23 gave it 5 stars.
>
> Which equals 391
>
> Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
> average rating? divide by 5?
>
> Somehow with numbers like those above shouldn't it be more around 2
> stars? Is Net Flix being honest with their math or are they just
> trying to push dud movies on us.

Actually, they're trying to push movies on duds. Further more, I can't
believe anyone would base decisions on self-serving rating systems
orchestrated by make-believe retailers.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Russ wrote:
> > I was on Net flix picking out movies in the Sci Fi department and came
> > across The Brothers Grimm. I was reading the reviews and it seemed
> > most people gave it one or two stars yet Net Flix had it at 3 stars.
> > So I added up all of the reviews just to see what was going on. Here
> > is what I found.
> >
> > 138 people gave it one star.
> > 110 gave it two stars
> > 73 gave it three stars
> > 47 gave it 4 stars
> > 23 gave it 5 stars.
> >
> > Which equals 391
> >
> > Here is where I am a little lost. What do you do next to get the
> > average rating? divide by 5?
> >
> > Somehow with numbers like those above shouldn't it be more around 2
> > stars? Is Net Flix being honest with their math or are they just
> > trying to push dud movies on us.

> Actually, they're trying to push movies on duds.

Why would they care? Hell, in their perfect world people would pay the
monthly fee and not rent anything

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS