Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why is the PS3 so cheap? Really!

Why is the PS3 so cheap? Really!

Jordan

Jay G. wrote:
> >> Why would you expect that?

> > Sony is selling 2 models of the PS3, a $600 and a $500 unit. The low
> > end unit only uses component video. The more expensive unit features
> > HDMI for video out. How they'll get 1080p out of a component connection
> > is beyond me.

> They won't. The component connection is only capable of 1080i, or what the
> Toshiba HD DVD players are only capable of, even with HDMI.

Exactly, which is why the PS3 blu-ray will look worse than a stand
alone blu-ray player.

> > Particularly when the Blu-Ray standard calls for
> > crippling the analog outputs down to 960x540.
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060122-6027.html

> HD DVD has the same "crippling" capability. However, as the article notes,
> the implimentation of that feature is left up to the studios, and so far n
> studio has engaged the crippling on their discs.

My suspicion is that nobody is going to flip the switch as long as
there's a debate over which format to use. As soon as one format wins
over the other that's when you'll see the media content bit being
turned on.

- Jordan

Jay G.

On 26 Jun 2006 09:46:00 -0700, Jordan wrote:

>>> Sony is selling 2 models of the PS3, a $600 and a $500 unit. The low
>>> end unit only uses component video. The more expensive unit features
>>> HDMI for video out. How they'll get 1080p out of a component connection
>>> is beyond me.

>> They won't. The component connection is only capable of 1080i, or what the
>> Toshiba HD DVD players are only capable of, even with HDMI.

> Exactly, which is why the PS3 blu-ray will look worse than a stand
> alone blu-ray player.

I really wasn't challanging that, I was challenging Joshua's claim that the
PS3 would have "horrible" video quality.

In any case, a lot of reviewers are downplaying the importance of 1080p
output. It seems that as long as the source is in 24p, the resulting image
doesn't have any interlacing artifacts even if it is output in 1080i.

>> HD DVD has the same "crippling" capability. However, as the article notes,
>> the implimentation of that feature is left up to the studios, and so far n
>> studio has engaged the crippling on their discs.

> My suspicion is that nobody is going to flip the switch as long as
> there's a debate over which format to use. As soon as one format wins
> over the other that's when you'll see the media content bit being
> turned on.

Actually, there's not only comeptition between formats, but between
studios. A studio could turn the crippling on now if they wanted, but it'd
hurt their sales so early on, since a lot of early adopters bought HDTVs
without digital inputs. No studio wants to lose their purchases to some
other studio because they deliberately made their product less appealing.

-Jay

Alpha

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Jay G. wrote:
>
>> > Expect horrible quality video from the PS3
>> > (even worse than the standalone Blu-ray players).

>> Why would you expect that?

> Sony is selling 2 models of the PS3, a $600 and a $500 unit. The low
> end unit only uses component video. The more expensive unit features
> HDMI for video out. How they'll get 1080p out of a component connection
> is beyond me. Particularly when the Blu-Ray standard calls for
> crippling the analog outputs down to 960x540.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060122-6027.html
>
> - Jordan

I do not understand the limited technical mentality of those suggesting
1080p is better than 1080i. Every review I have read, including those with
vested interests as videophiles, states that the difference is not
perceivable with good equipment.

Jordan

Alpha wrote:

> I do not understand the limited technical mentality of those suggesting
> 1080p is better than 1080i. Every review I have read, including those with
> vested interests as videophiles, states that the difference is not
> perceivable with good equipment.

Or worse... that 1080p is having serious issues on the current Blu-Ray
player:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa122.html

- Jordan

SoloSalsa@gmail.com

Okay, you have all steamed at me, but I'm not getting it.
Is quality for a movie worth an extra $400? (yes people I KNOW
already that there are two versions of PS3)
Even if the quality will be like a DVD, the PS3 can still do so much
more! They really want to make it a computer!
And I know that they are at a loss, duh. But still, I just can't
understand why ($500 this time, y'all) it will cost half as much as a
movie-only player.
But now I have another question: Why did they release A LAPTOP with
a BD rewrite drive? Oh sure, $3500, but why would A LAPTOP come before
they've even released desktop drives? And why PC's with BD before
they've even made the movie players?
Perhaps the movie-machine will have those plugs for the 400 disk
megachangers built-in, or some other awsome features that will justify
the price. I still hope the BD format will win.

And hey, would anyone be kind enough to explain that format in
Japan, or send me a link for explanation? Now I'm really curious!