Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Advice needed on Multi-region Players...

Advice needed on Multi-region Players...

G. M. Watson

Apologies if this topic has come up recently. I haven't spent any time in
this NG for quite a while. I need some suggestions-- brand names and
models-- for multi-region DVD players. It seems to be time to at last take
the plunge into multi-region.

I've looked at some players in some of the local Chinese DVD stores and I
have to say that externally, at least, they look like junk. Maybe I'm biased
because they only cost about a hundred bucks or less. I recognize none of
the brand names. We're not high-end purists by any means; for several years
we've had a Panasonic RP-56 we're quite satisfied with. Since space
restrictions make it difficult for us to have multiple players, any new
player we acquire would likely become our primary player. Hence anything we
replace the Panasonic with would have to be at least as good and preferably
better.

If anyone has some brand names/model numbers they'd like to share, please
let me know. If possible, I'd prefer something that's likely to be available
in Canada. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
GMW

Kimba W. Lion

"G. M. Watson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If anyone has some brand names/model numbers they'd like to share, please
>let me know. If possible, I'd prefer something that's likely to be available
>in Canada. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cyberhome 300. Little, cheap, progressive scan output, perfect PAL>NTSC
conversion. One caveat: If it runs hot when you get it, exchange it
immediately. This player normally stays at room temperature--unlike many
other brands. If it doesn't run hot, it should last more than long enough to
get your money's worth out of it.