Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD vs BLURAY

HD-DVD vs BLURAY

wandrinandz

If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
DVD... GET IT!!

Bill

wandrinandz wrote:
> If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
> along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
> cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
> decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
> quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
> THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
> DVD... GET IT!!

These are first generation products...initial pricing means nothing. The
first Sony Betamax was $1400 or so retail, but Beta was the first to
break the under $300 barrier for a VCR, thanks to Sanyo. And, of course,
VHS still won the war, in spite of the price advantage that Beta had for
awhile.

Fred C. Dobbs

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:16:02 +0100, "wandrinandz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
>along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
>cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
>decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
>quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
>THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
>DVD... GET IT!!

Well I for one am pulling for HD-DVD but I gotta say that the first
BluRay discs have shown up at Fry's and they are $9 cheeper than
HD-DVD discs. $19.99 vs $28.99. Not sure why. Although the HD-DVD
release titles are of more recent vintage than the BluRay. Neither
group has the must have/own DVD that would help push the decision.

AZ Nomad

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:16:02 +0100, wandrinandz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
>along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
>cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
>decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
>quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
>THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
>DVD... GET IT!!

from what I've heard, they both are and even if BR isn't, most of
us (perhaps not you) can afford $30 for a separate DVD player.

Tarkus

On 6/17/2006 6:53:25 AM, Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

> Well I for one am pulling for HD-DVD but I gotta say that the first
> BluRay discs have shown up at Fry's and they are $9 cheeper than
> HD-DVD discs. $19.99 vs $28.99. Not sure why. Although the HD-DVD
> release titles are of more recent vintage than the BluRay. Neither
> group has the must have/own DVD that would help push the decision.

I have to say, I'd sure love to watch the upcoming "The Fifth Element" on
Blu-Ray. As good as it looks on DVD, it must be pretty spectacular on
Blu-Ray.

None of the other titles announced for either camp really excite me that
much, though they're not all bad.
--
Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't
show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday."

Now playing: "Genesis - Firth of Fifth"

Tarkus

On 6/17/2006 3:16:02 AM, wandrinandz wrote:

> THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT
> STANDARD DVD... GET IT!!

The point is... It's no more backward compatible than Blu-Ray... GET IT!!
--
"I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
days and doesn't die."

Now playing: "Genesis - Firth of Fifth"

Rich

Tarkus wrote:
> On 6/17/2006 3:16:02 AM, wandrinandz wrote:
>
> > THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT
> > STANDARD DVD... GET IT!!

> The point is... It's no more backward compatible than Blu-Ray... GET IT!!
> --
> "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
> days and doesn't die."
>
> Now playing: "Genesis - Firth of Fifth"

Who CARES about backward compatibility? If people can't afford to get
a TV (or system)
with two inputs, one of their DVD player and one for their Blu-Ray
player then to HELL with
them.
That would be the early adopter stance.
Pragmatically, lacking backward compatibility is a killer. It has
killed products like
Intel's Itanium (though anything from Intel being killed is probably a
good thing).

Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:31:04 GMT, AZ Nomad <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:16:02 +0100, wandrinandz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
>>along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
>>cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
>>decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
>>quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
>>THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
>>DVD... GET IT!!

>from what I've heard, they both are and even if BR isn't, most of
>us (perhaps not you) can afford $30 for a separate DVD player.

That has to be one of the most retarded statements you have yet
made.

Joshua Zyber

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lkvnmlyt6eoe$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> I have to say, I'd sure love to watch the upcoming "The Fifth Element"
> on
> Blu-Ray. As good as it looks on DVD, it must be pretty spectacular on
> Blu-Ray.

Pretty much everyone who's seen the Fifth Element Blu-ray has said that
it's very disappointing. Here's an example review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html

Tarkus

On 6/17/2006 12:49:59 PM, Joshua Zyber wrote:

> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lkvnmlyt6eoe$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
>> I have to say, I'd sure love to watch the upcoming "The Fifth Element"
>> on Blu-Ray. As good as it looks on DVD, it must be pretty
>> spectacular on Blu-Ray.

> Pretty much everyone who's seen the Fifth Element Blu-ray has said that
> it's very disappointing. Here's an example review:
>
> http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html

Thanks for the link. Too bad, I guess I'll have to wait for Criterion or
Superbit Blu-ray editions to get the wow factor.

At least the PCM 5.1 soundtrack sounds pretty exciting.
--
"Is there an Al Coholic here? Al Coholic!
Anybody here know an Al Coholic?"

Now playing: "Voivod - Polaroids"

Wiki's BluRay entry Goro DVD Video 3 12-09-2005 04:03 AM
BluRay's almost here Goro DVD Video 4 12-02-2005 06:28 PM
The first BluRay Disc is ... Goro DVD Video 2 11-23-2005 12:08 AM
BluRay DVD Burner out Goro DVD Video 0 08-29-2005 07:31 PM
Yet Another BLURAY poast Goro DVD Video 2 08-11-2005 08:56 PM

Advertisments