Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to burn MPG files to a DVD...

How to burn MPG files to a DVD...

ngjunkie0011@yahoo.com

....using freeware(free programs!) so can watch the DVD with any DVD
player?

I was searching the forum for a post that helps me to do this but all
the posts were ambiguous with links to software that I have to buy and
I'm getting a little frustrasted.

I bought a new PC and a card that allows me to record TV episodes
while Im away at work so I can watch them later. The program that
came with the board records the episodes in mpg format.

Here is the tricky part, the version of nero that came with the board
doesn't allow me to burn mpg's onto a DVD. It looks like nero expects
another format other than MPG in order for me to burn the MPG.

Is there any freeware that will allow me to convert an MPG to a format
that nero will burn?

Or is there any freeware utility/program that will automatically
convert and then burn an MPG onto a DVD ?

Bill's News

> ...using freeware(free programs!) so can watch the DVD with any DVD
> player?
>
> I was searching the forum for a post that helps me to do this but
> all
> the posts were ambiguous with links to software that I have to buy
> and
> I'm getting a little frustrasted.
>
> I bought a new PC and a card that allows me to record TV episodes
> while Im away at work so I can watch them later. The program that
> came with the board records the episodes in mpg format.
>
> Here is the tricky part, the version of nero that came with the
> board
> doesn't allow me to burn mpg's onto a DVD. It looks like nero
> expects
> another format other than MPG in order for me to burn the MPG.
>
> Is there any freeware that will allow me to convert an MPG to a
> format
> that nero will burn?
>
> Or is there any freeware utility/program that will automatically
> convert and then burn an MPG onto a DVD ?

To make a "DVD" video from a captured video it helps if the capture
card/software is making "DVD" compliant MPEG2 files to begin with.
Whatever software one uses to "convert" these to "DVD" should then
simply perform a copy-like operation of the MPEG2 files, while adding
"DVD" navigation, to create IFO/VOB sets. On a multiple HDD system,
this is a fairly quick operation, much less so on a single hard drive.
If you must have a menu to play the single video you've "authored,"
then the software chosen must give you that option.

If your MPEG files are NOT compliant with the "DVD" standard, then
they must be re-encoded to meet the standard - which is quite time
consuming - before "authoring."

I believe Nero will "author" either compliant or non-compliant, but I
seem to recall that it will re-encode in either case? I don't use
Nero for that purpose, so have no personal experience.

On another hand, if your DVD player is capable of playing MPEGISO
captured files, then you should be able to simply burn the MPEG2 files
as DATA - even Nero will support this function - and save yourself all
the "authoring" and possible re-encoding hassle.

If your captures are of commercial laden TV shows, then you might want
to acquire a decent "editing" package to strip them out. VideoReDo is
superb at this and costs a mere US$50. In this case too the files
must be rewritten after editing and is likewise much faster on a
multiple HDD system than a single HDD.

DVD players which handle MPEGISO are as low cost as US$50.

Freeware programs which handle MPEG2 video don't really exist due to
licensing requirements, but the purchase of the capture card implies
you intend to do this often and the small cost of the above mentioned
amortizes quickly.

Bill's News

I forgot to mention that Nero might balk at files larger than 2 gig,
but it will allow you to write them to DVD. Some players which handle
MPEGISO files will also handle files larger than 2 gig, but many will
not.

While editing out commercials you can split the file into chunks of 2
gig or less; or, if your capture card/software supports it, you can
have it break the capture into smaller chunks on-the-fly.