Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > TDA Menu Problem

TDA Menu Problem

Bob

How do you get TDA (TMPGEnc DVD Author ) to put up a "Main Menu"?

I can only get it to put up a "Title Menu", as indicated in WinDVD and
my ILO DVDR.

I have "Only Main Menu" checked under "Menu Display Settings" so you
would think TDA would follow its own instructions. But all I get is a
Title Menu - and I didn't even ask for one.

--

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable."

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you get TDA (TMPGEnc DVD Author ) to put up a "Main Menu"?
>
> I can only get it to put up a "Title Menu", as indicated in WinDVD and
> my ILO DVDR.
>
> I have "Only Main Menu" checked under "Menu Display Settings" so you
> would think TDA would follow its own instructions. But all I get is a
> Title Menu - and I didn't even ask for one.

Semantics, most likely.

The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu.

In TDA you can also have a menu for each Title/VTS where
you can select the chapters within the title. This is called a
track menu in TDA. You could also describe it as a menu of
the chapters within a particular title/VTS/Track, or a Chapter
Menu. Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
consider it the Title's Menu also.

So do you have a menu that lets you select from among the
tracks/VTS/Titles you have on the DVD or does it let you
select from the chapters of a single track/VTS/Title ?

Luck;
Ken

Bob

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:37:59 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Semantics, most likely.

I wish it were.

> The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
>the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
>So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu.

Whatever name TDA has for it, the devices (WinDVD and ILO DVDR) call
it Title Menu. I have to use the "Title" key on the remote for the
DVDR - the "Menu" key won't work at all. There is no entry under "Root
Menu" in WinDVD - it's empty.

> In TDA you can also have a menu for each Title/VTS where
>you can select the chapters within the title. This is called a
>track menu in TDA. You could also describe it as a menu of
>the chapters within a particular title/VTS/Track, or a Chapter
>Menu. Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
>consider it the Title's Menu also.

I am aware of that.

> So do you have a menu that lets you select from among the
>tracks/VTS/Titles you have on the DVD or does it let you
>select from the chapters of a single track/VTS/Title ?

It allows me to select among the various titles.

My problem is that I have to use the Title key on the ILO remote
because I do not have it programmed into my main remote since I have
never had to use it. With ordinary DVDs, the Menu key works.

I think this is a bug that came about because the Japanese do not
understand how people use their remotes. But I can live with it - I
will have to mark the discs to remind me to use the original remote
with the Title key. It would have been so much simplier if the
developer had just done it right from the outset.

--

"There is much to be said in favor of
the Internet. By giving us the opinions

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:37:59 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Semantics, most likely.

> I wish it were.
>
>> The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
>>the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
>>So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu.

> Whatever name TDA has for it, the devices (WinDVD and ILO DVDR) call
> it Title Menu. I have to use the "Title" key on the remote for the
> DVDR - the "Menu" key won't work at all. There is no entry under "Root
> Menu" in WinDVD - it's empty.
>
>> In TDA you can also have a menu for each Title/VTS where
>>you can select the chapters within the title. This is called a
>>track menu in TDA. You could also describe it as a menu of
>>the chapters within a particular title/VTS/Track, or a Chapter
>>Menu. Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
>>consider it the Title's Menu also.

> I am aware of that.
>
>> So do you have a menu that lets you select from among the
>>tracks/VTS/Titles you have on the DVD or does it let you
>>select from the chapters of a single track/VTS/Title ?

> It allows me to select among the various titles.

Then it is functioning as intended for a "Main Menu".

> My problem is that I have to use the Title key on the ILO remote
> because I do not have it programmed into my main remote since I have
> never had to use it. With ordinary DVDs, the Menu key works.

With some of my players the "Menu" key works with the "Main
menu only" TDA DVDs as well; with others it doesen't.

> I think this is a bug that came about because the Japanese do not
> understand how people use their remotes. But I can live with it - I
> will have to mark the discs to remind me to use the original remote
> with the Title key. It would have been so much simplier if the
> developer had just done it right from the outset.

You and Alpha, anything that works differently than you want
or expect is a "BUG".

If you want the Main menu again just restart the DVD, assuming
you have the firstplay action set to "Display Main menu". Your
remote should be able to do that with the press of a couple of
buttons.

Luck;
Ken

Bob

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:29:55 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> With some of my players the "Menu" key works with the "Main
>menu only" TDA DVDs as well; with others it doesn't.

I have never had a problem with this with any other DVD.

> If you want the Main menu again just restart the DVD, assuming
>you have the firstplay action set to "Display Main menu". Your
>remote should be able to do that with the press of a couple of
>buttons.

I did that on the second run and indeed it starts off on the menu.
However once I have made a selection, I cannot access the menu again
without using the title button.

I can, however, access the titles via the GoTo function where the
various titles are enumerated albeit in cryptic manner. Or I suppose I
could cycle the disc open each time.

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
>consider it the Title's Menu also.

If you take a look on the window called "Display Menu Settings" you
will find a "Main Menu" and a "Track Menu".

If you select "Main Menu Only" you end up with what WinDVD calls the
Title Menu and no Root Menu aka Main Menu.

--

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable."
--Sun Tzu

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:29:55 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
>>consider it the Title's Menu also.

If you were to quote the rest of the paragraph, this might make
some sense, without the rest there is no way to establish which
menu is being talked about.

> If you take a look on the window called "Display Menu Settings" you
> will find a "Main Menu" and a "Track Menu".
>
> If you select "Main Menu Only" you end up with what WinDVD calls the
> Title Menu and no Root Menu aka Main Menu.

There is only one menu on the DVD you made. WinDVD is apparently
calling it a Title Menu. There is no way for the DVD to magically create
another menu to be your "Root Menu a.k.a. (by you, as a) Main Menu".

When TDA makes a "Main" menu it is the menu in the DVD specifications
that lets you select different VTS (Video Title Sets). A DVD can also have
other menus including a "root" menu to select other menus (audio,
subpicture,
special features, ect..) that need not be the "Main" menu for VTS selection.

Different players handle this in different ways, some remotes only have
one
menu button, some have several. Because two hardware or software players
use the same term, does not necessarily mean they are using the same
process.

Luck;
Ken

Alpha

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You and Alpha, anything that works differently than you want
> or expect is a "BUG".

I do not remember calling these issues bugs. I called them design flaws.

Bob

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:34:23 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is only one menu on the DVD you made. WinDVD is apparently
>calling it a Title Menu.

But TDA called it the Main Menu, and reserved the term Title Menu for
something entirely different.

>There is no way for the DVD to magically create
>another menu to be your "Root Menu a.k.a. (by you, as a) Main Menu".

Commercial DVDs create a Root Menu.

> When TDA makes a "Main" menu it is the menu in the DVD specifications
>that lets you select different VTS (Video Title Sets). A DVD can also have
>other menus including a "root" menu to select other menus (audio,
>subpicture,
>special features, ect..) that need not be the "Main" menu for VTS selection.

Commercial DVDs put the two together and call it the Root Menu. I am
able to access it in WinDVD thru "Root Menu" and with my DVDR as
"Menu". I don't even have a Title key on my programmable remote.

--

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:13:18 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You and Alpha, anything that works differently than you want
>> or expect is a "BUG".

>I do not remember calling these issues bugs. I called them design flaws.

Microsoft would call it a "feature".