Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > USB Phone with Yahoo messenger?

USB Phone with Yahoo messenger?

Gyuri

Hi. I got this USB Adaptor

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/ima...USB_Telbox.jpg

And I was wondering if there's was a way to make it work with Yahoo
messenger because they have better rates than Skype. I want to make
international calls with Yahoo voice messenger by using my home phone
connected to this adapter but unfortunately I don't know how to make it
work with Yahoo and this is if it really works with yahoo. I would
really appreaciate if someone could help me.

Thank you.

Brian A

On 13 Jul 2006 10:35:28 -0700, "Gyuri" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi. I got this USB Adaptor
>
>http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/ima...USB_Telbox.jpg
>
>And I was wondering if there's was a way to make it work with Yahoo
>messenger because they have better rates than Skype. I want to make
>international calls with Yahoo voice messenger by using my home phone
>connected to this adapter but unfortunately I don't know how to make it
>work with Yahoo and this is if it really works with yahoo. I would
>really appreaciate if someone could help me.
>
>Thank you.

Why waste money on a USB box when you can get the real thing that will
connect to all your standard home phones.
Take a look at what Voip is really about on www.voip-info.org
Start with ' Getting Started' part way down the page.
Then come back here and ask some more. My advice: Forget about toytown
Skype and spend your money on the real thing!
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Brian

On 2006-07-13, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2006 10:35:28 -0700, "Gyuri" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi. I got this USB Adaptor
>>
>>http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/ima...USB_Telbox.jpg
>>
>>And I was wondering if there's was a way to make it work with Yahoo
>>messenger because they have better rates than Skype. I want to make
>>international calls with Yahoo voice messenger by using my home phone
>>connected to this adapter but unfortunately I don't know how to make it
>>work with Yahoo and this is if it really works with yahoo. I would
>>really appreaciate if someone could help me.
>>
>>Thank you.

> Why waste money on a USB box when you can get the real thing that will
> connect to all your standard home phones.

The financial advice is a little late - he has already bought the
adaptor and is hoping to make the most of his investment.

> Take a look at what Voip is really about on www.voip-info.org Start
> with ' Getting Started' part way down the page. Then come back here
> and ask some more.

Will he be tested on what he has read to ascertain how true a convert he
has become?

> My advice: Forget about toytown
> Skype and spend your money on the real thing!

I got the impression Yahoo Messenger was the subject of the question.

Brian.

Brian

On 2006-07-13, Gyuri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi. I got this USB Adaptor
>
> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/ima...USB_Telbox.jpg
>
> And I was wondering if there's was a way to make it work with Yahoo
> messenger because they have better rates than Skype. I want to make
> international calls with Yahoo voice messenger by using my home phone
> connected to this adapter but unfortunately I don't know how to make it
> work with Yahoo and this is if it really works with yahoo. I would
> really appreaciate if someone could help me.

That adaptor seems available under different names such as Telbox and
B2K. www.mplat.com has a forum devoted to its support. A search on
uk.yahoo.com gives one dispiriting response indicating it does not work
with Yahoo.

Brian.

JC

wrote:

>Hi. I got this USB Adaptor
>
>http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/ima...USB_Telbox.jpg
>
>And I was wondering if there's was a way to make it work with Yahoo
>messenger because they have better rates than Skype. I want to make
>international calls with Yahoo voice messenger by using my home phone
>connected to this adapter but unfortunately I don't know how to make it
>work with Yahoo and this is if it really works with yahoo. I would
>really appreaciate if someone could help me.

Looks like a Yealink Telebox USB-B2K from that picture, in which case,
software and drivers for lots of different systems can be downloaded
here:

http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

Never used Yahoo messenger in anger, however it should appear as a USB
audio device, so at the very least the audio should work.

Rgds
Jonathan

--
Free UK based SIP accounts at www.kcip.com.

RH

>> Why waste money on a USB box when you can get the real thing that will
>> connect to all your standard home phones.

> The financial advice is a little late - he has already bought the
> adaptor and is hoping to make the most of his investment.
>
>> Take a look at what Voip is really about on www.voip-info.org Start
>> with ' Getting Started' part way down the page. Then come back here
>> and ask some more.

> Will he be tested on what he has read to ascertain how true a convert he
> has become?
>
>> My advice: Forget about toytown
>> Skype and spend your money on the real thing!

> I got the impression Yahoo Messenger was the subject of the question.

Its all well and good you singing the praises of ATA hardphones, but with
ATA/hardphones
can you contact for free users of the biggest VOIP network around? that
being skype?

Love it or hate Skype still has more users than any other kind of VOIP
service, technically I guess you could
say MSN and yahoo are also voip services now but you get the point.

Don't get me wrong I understand the benefits of an ATA or hardphone, I have
collection of hardphones and ATA
units here, which I use, but the family and friends I have don't want to to
pay money for an ATA or phone when they
can use skype for free to talk to their other friends for free who are also
on skype

jasee

Brian A wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2006 10:35:28 -0700, "Gyuri" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> Why waste money on a USB box when you can get the real thing that will
> connect to all your standard home phones.
> Take a look at what Voip is really about on www.voip-info.org
> Start with ' Getting Started' part way down the page.
> Then come back here and ask some more. My advice: Forget about toytown
> Skype and spend your money on the real thing!

The advantage of Skype (unlike 'real' voip) is it's almost unstoppable. You
should be able to plug your phone into almost any pc anywhere with a
internet connection & with sufficient permission to install the device
itself and send and receive. Blocking it on a firwall/router is ppretty
difficult.

The Invalid

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:32:14 +0100, "RH"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Its all well and good you singing the praises of ATA hardphones, but with
>ATA/hardphones
>can you contact for free users of the biggest VOIP network around? that
>being skype?

And also Sype sound and Videocam quality on P2P is superb as is the
quality on Skypeout

Ivor Jones

"The Invalid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:32:14 +0100, "RH"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Its all well and good you singing the praises of ATA
> > hardphones, but with ATA/hardphones
> > can you contact for free users of the biggest VOIP
> > network around? that being skype?

Just because someone uses Skype does that automatically mean I want to
call them..?! Skype uses proprietary protocols which mean I cannot use my
own equipment. I don't like using PC based systems for phone calls any
more than I like emails being converted to speech and played to me over
the phone.

Besides, 90% of the people I call regularly use Sipgate so whether or not
Skype is the biggest system around is irrelevant to me. I probably know
about half a dozen people who use Skype, all but a couple also use Sipgate
so I am losing very little by not using Skype.

> And also Sype sound and Videocam quality on P2P is superb
> as is the quality on Skypeout

The last thing I want when I'm on the phone is video calling..! The way I
look when someone calls me (usually when I'm still in bed or just out of
the bath..!) it wouldn't be a pretty sight..!

I suppose if you want video calling then Skype is ok, but SIP can support
video calling with the right equipment so it isn't exclusive to PC based
systems.

Ivor

JC

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:33:47 +0100, "jasee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The advantage of Skype (unlike 'real' voip) is it's almost unstoppable. You
>should be able to plug your phone into almost any pc anywhere with a
>internet connection & with sufficient permission to install the device
>itself and send and receive. Blocking it on a firwall/router is ppretty
>difficult.

Actually, blocking Skype is trivially easy on any professional
firewall. It's just that most domestic routers will allow a reply back
to traffic sent on any port. Given the way that one Skype PC can be
capable of taking down an entire network, I'd expect to see a LOT more
Skype blocking in future while other technologies such as
SIP/Jingle/IAX etc, may be allowed to pass unhindered.

In fact it's much easier to guarantee QoS (quality of service) with
SIP etc at the router level, while this is almost impossible with
Skype given it's peer-to-peer nature. There are lots of other pros and
cons of the proprietary Skype protocol, but I just can't see such a
proprietary system with all it's failings ever being anything more
than a supplement to more resilient services.

IMHO the only way for Skype to expand (quality of service wise) beyond
limited desktop and secondary mobile services is to open up and
re-engineer the way their service works. What they do have is a
massive installed base, so such re-enginerring would be trivially easy
via a software update. When that happens then maybe, just maybe,
they'll stand a chance of being unstoppable.

Rgds
Jonathan
--
Free UK based SIP accounts with ENUM/Sipbroker calling at
www.kcip.com.