Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Porting numbers to VoIP

Porting numbers to VoIP

news.rcn.com

Despite everyone's insistence to the contrary, I have just discovered that
my BT number which I wanted ported to VoipFone is actually held by Onetel
(and as it was mine, naturally isn't being used, but Onetel says is
available to me. Except that BT wont let them have it's use as BT says that
the exchange is not usable any more by me. So I have to use a porting
service to get it onto VoIP)

VoipFone insists that they haven't got a porting agreement with Onetel so
they say they cannot ASK for this number to be ported to them. This seems
somehow illogical but I was wondering if there was any other way of handling
this porting problem? Does anyone else have a porting agreement with onetel
or do they need one or must I somehow port it back to BT to port it to
VoipFone?

Or does anyone know if Onetel is starting some VoIP service in the near
future?

Paul Cupis

news.rcn.com wrote:
> Despite everyone's insistence to the contrary, I have just discovered that
> my BT number which I wanted ported to VoipFone is actually held by Onetel
> (and as it was mine, naturally isn't being used, but Onetel says is
> available to me. Except that BT wont let them have it's use as BT says that
> the exchange is not usable any more by me. So I have to use a porting
> service to get it onto VoIP)
>
> VoipFone insists that they haven't got a porting agreement with Onetel so
> they say they cannot ASK for this number to be ported to them. This seems
> somehow illogical but I was wondering if there was any other way of handling
> this porting problem? Does anyone else have a porting agreement with onetel
> or do they need one or must I somehow port it back to BT to port it to
> VoipFone?

What is the number range? You can use this to confirm it is a Onetel number.

Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,
but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.
There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
bother setting up a porting agreement with another.

You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new provider.

news.rcn.com

"Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e90mmn$tv7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news.rcn.com wrote:
>> Despite everyone's insistence to the contrary, I have just discovered
>> that
>> my BT number which I wanted ported to VoipFone is actually held by Onetel
>> (and as it was mine, naturally isn't being used, but Onetel says is
>> available to me. Except that BT wont let them have it's use as BT says
>> that
>> the exchange is not usable any more by me. So I have to use a porting
>> service to get it onto VoIP)
>>
>> VoipFone insists that they haven't got a porting agreement with Onetel so
>> they say they cannot ASK for this number to be ported to them. This seems
>> somehow illogical but I was wondering if there was any other way of
>> handling
>> this porting problem? Does anyone else have a porting agreement with
>> onetel
>> or do they need one or must I somehow port it back to BT to port it to
>> VoipFone?

> What is the number range? You can use this to confirm it is a Onetel
> number.

Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
presumably a few years ago

> Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,

They say this will take 6 months (if they could be bothered to do it)

> but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
> company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.

They say none of 'their' companies have a porting agrement with onetel

> There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
> bother setting up a porting agreement with another.
>
> You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
> the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new
> provider.

I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

Jono

news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
er.

> I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.
>
> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short
period?

I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the
line back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you
can spend in , you don't actually have to wait 3 months before
porting to your VSP.

Paul Cupis

news.rcn.com wrote:
> "Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e90mmn$tv7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,

> They say this will take 6 months (if they could be bothered to do it)

Correct.

>> but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
>> company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.

> They say none of 'their' companies have a porting agrement with onetel

Okay, so you are basically out of luck unless you can:

* convince them or one of their suppliers to request and implement a
porting agreement with Onetel
* find a supplier who does have a porting agreement with Onetel (or who
will get one)

Good luck with that.

>> There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
>> bother setting up a porting agreement with another.
>>
>> You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
>> the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new
>> provider.

> I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

It's either a Onetel range or a BT range - it cannot be both. You've
just said it a Onetel range, so BT have nothing to do with it.

> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

What? I don't understand what you are saying, but I'm fairly confident
that the answer is no.

Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
> news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
> er.
>> I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.
>>
>> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

> If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short period?
>
> I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
> back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
> spend in , you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
> your VSP.

If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number etc.

However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.

Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
ourselves, so...

Jono

on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :
> Jono wrote:
>> news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
>> er.
>>> I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.
>>>
>>> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

>> If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short period?
>>
>> I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
>> back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
>> spend in , you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
>> your VSP.

> If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
> from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number etc.
>
> However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.
>
> Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
> ourselves, so...

Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
"I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would
have been two or more digits shorter........

Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
> on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :
>> Jono wrote:
>>> news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
>>> er.

>>> If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short
>>> period?
>>>
>>> I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
>>> back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
>>> spend in , you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
>>> your VSP.

>> If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
>> from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number
>> etc.
>>
>> However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.
>>
>> Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
>> ourselves, so...

> Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
> "I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
> 1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would have
> been two or more digits shorter........

He also says:

"Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
presumably a few years ago"

which doesn't even make sense.

To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
telephone number in question?

Jono

Paul Cupis has brought this to us :
> Jono wrote:
>> on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :

>>> If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
>>> from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.
>>>
>>> Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
>>> ourselves, so...

>> Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
>> "I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
>> 1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would have
>> been two or more digits shorter........

> He also says:
>
> "Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
> presumably a few years ago"
>
> which doesn't even make sense.
>
> To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
> telephone number in question?

He said in March "We need to retain the number we have had for fifty
years" - must be a BT number that hasn't /ported/ to Onetel, merely,
they're porviding him with Wholesale Line Rental.

What good would knowing the last 3-4 digits do......? do you mean 1st 3
or 4 plus STD?

It's a London number according to the earlier posts.

In October last year he said "We used OneTel. Someone has connected the
flat up to a new phone and BT tried to tell us that we can't retain the
number we have had for fifty years. (OneTel told me that I can but I
now can't seem to be able to contact them by phone from New York) When
I threatened to change service, BT re-transferred the number
immediately.
"

BT re-transferred the number where?

Come on news.rcn.com, give us some more info........isn't New York
awake yet?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
> Paul Cupis has brought this to us :
>> Jono wrote:
>>> on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :

>>> Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
>>> "I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
>>> 1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would
>>> have been two or more digits shorter........

>> He also says:
>>
>> "Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to
>> them presumably a few years ago"
>>
>> which doesn't even make sense.
>>
>> To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
>> telephone number in question?

> He said in March "We need to retain the number we have had for fifty
> years" - must be a BT number that hasn't /ported/ to Onetel, merely,
> they're porviding him with Wholesale Line Rental.
>
> What good would knowing the last 3-4 digits do......? do you mean 1st
> 3 or 4 plus STD?

They didn't ask for the last 3-4 digits, they asked for all BUT the last
3-4 digits.