Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SkypeIn and Ring Delay (not call forwarding)

SkypeIn and Ring Delay (not call forwarding)

Sean Inglis

HI,

I've just signed up for SkypeIn, and I'm using a Linksys CIT200
handset.

Although the whole setup seems to work reliably, there's a noticeable
delay between someone calling the SkypeIn number, and the first ring
being detected and propogated by the Skype client. I make it that the
caller waits for about 8 - 10 rings before 1 ring is heard at my end.

This means that I've probably only got a few rings before the caller
gives up (if they share anything like my degree of impatience with
these things).

Is this a common limitation, or should I be complaining/double-checking
my setup.

Thanks

Sean

andy

Sean Inglis wrote:
> HI,
>
> I've just signed up for SkypeIn, and I'm using a Linksys CIT200
> handset.
>
> Although the whole setup seems to work reliably, there's a noticeable
> delay between someone calling the SkypeIn number, and the first ring
> being detected and propogated by the Skype client. I make it that the
> caller waits for about 8 - 10 rings before 1 ring is heard at my end.
>
> This means that I've probably only got a few rings before the caller
> gives up (if they share anything like my degree of impatience with
> these things).
>
> Is this a common limitation, or should I be complaining/double-checking
> my setup.

I have no idea if its common, but have the same myself, and have heard
others say so, though we are using call forwarding to SkypeOut and I
assumed that was the delay

Sean Inglis

andy wrote:
> Sean Inglis wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > I've just signed up for SkypeIn, and I'm using a Linksys CIT200
> > handset.
> >
> > Although the whole setup seems to work reliably, there's a noticeable
> > delay between someone calling the SkypeIn number, and the first ring
> > being detected and propogated by the Skype client. I make it that the
> > caller waits for about 8 - 10 rings before 1 ring is heard at my end.
> >
> > This means that I've probably only got a few rings before the caller
> > gives up (if they share anything like my degree of impatience with
> > these things).
> >
> > Is this a common limitation, or should I be complaining/double-checking
> > my setup.

> I have no idea if its common, but have the same myself, and have heard
> others say so, though we are using call forwarding to SkypeOut and I
> assumed that was the delay

Andy,

When you say you have the same, do you mean that you have the same
handset, or just that you're using SkyeIn and experience the same
delay?

I don't think it's specifically handset related: Skype on the PC
doesn't seem to burst into life until about 8 rings (but I'll have to
double check that).

It doesn't make it unworkable, but it means I'll probably spend more
time returning calls and voicemail messages than answering them in the
first place.

I don't suppose you have a Skype email address to fire a question at?
Any references to Skype in a webpage are blocked by the firewall I'm
behind.

Sean

SR

Sean Inglis wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> I don't suppose you have a Skype email address to fire a question
> at? Any references to Skype in a webpage are blocked by the
> firewall I'm behind.
>
> Sean

In restrictive environments SkypeIn functionality can be improved by
specifying a dedicated inbound port - Tools | Options | Connection |
Use port xxx for incoming connections, and then forward incoming
traffic from the gateway router to the IP address of Skype PC on the
LAN.

If you can use the internet from another location (without the
firewall) then ask on the forum at http://forum.skype.com/

Sean Inglis

SR wrote:
> Sean Inglis wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>
> > I don't suppose you have a Skype email address to fire a question
> > at? Any references to Skype in a webpage are blocked by the
> > firewall I'm behind.
> >
> > Sean
> >

> In restrictive environments SkypeIn functionality can be improved by
> specifying a dedicated inbound port - Tools | Options | Connection |
> Use port xxx for incoming connections, and then forward incoming
> traffic from the gateway router to the IP address of Skype PC on the
> LAN.

The "restricted enviroment" in which the phone is deployed is mine, so
no problems there. As it is, I've left is using the default values, and
I believe my firewall will be blocking the reserved ports.

I must try reconfiguring this when I get back home and see if it shaves
a few rings off.

> If you can use the internet from another location (without the
> firewall) then ask on the forum at http://forum.skype.com/

Yes, I'll do so tonight, thanks.

Sean Inglis

SR wrote:
> Sean Inglis wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>
> > I don't suppose you have a Skype email address to fire a question
> > at? Any references to Skype in a webpage are blocked by the
> > firewall I'm behind.
> >
> > Sean
> >

> In restrictive environments SkypeIn functionality can be improved by
> specifying a dedicated inbound port - Tools | Options | Connection |
> Use port xxx for incoming connections, and then forward incoming
> traffic from the gateway router to the IP address of Skype PC on the
> LAN.

Success. I turned on port forwarding and this cut the number of rings
down to 3, thanks.