Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > OT: cable Internet and Phone

OT: cable Internet and Phone

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> Bloody Hell Ivor, you are hard work sometimes!
>> I am trying to be supportive!
>>
>> Graham.

> Sorry, as you didn't quote what you were replying to, I have no idea
> what you mean..!
>
> Ivor

Not sure if I am right, but it entered my head that it might have been
something to do with UTV's most hated moron.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Graham.

>>> Bloody Hell Ivor, you are hard work sometimes!
>>> I am trying to be supportive!
>>>
>>> Graham.

>> Sorry, as you didn't quote what you were replying to, I have no idea
>> what you mean..!
>>
>> Ivor

> Not sure if I am right, but it entered my head that it might have been
> something to do with UTV's most hated moron.

Yes, what ever became of Stefan Kaniuk (?)

As for Ivors current tormenter / PITA, I just thought he might need some
warning of impending flack.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44b2ed21$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> > Not sure if I am right, but it entered my head that it
> > might have been something to do with UTV's most hated
> > moron.

> Yes, what ever became of Stefan Kaniuk (?)

I think he got his account pulled by his ISP.

> As for Ivors current tormenter / PITA, I just thought he
> might need some warning of impending flack.

Oh, I see, sorry I'm slow sometimes, but you were rather cryptic and I've
always preferred the direct approach..!

As for *him*, don't worry about him, I can handle him, he's easy.

Ivor

bob garbutt

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Databug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:_%rsg.102884$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>

>> Which of the VOIP companies would you recommend? I've
>> heard of Vonage and Sipgate.
>>
>> Presumably there is a difference between companies such
>> as Skype that offer software VOIP to the likes of Sipgate
>> whose main aim is the hardware veriety.

> Skype is a peer-to-peer computer application, you don't use it with ATA's
> and standalone phones. There are USB adaptors available that let you plug
> a phone in I believe but you still need a computer on all the time.
>
> Personally I wouldn't bother with Vonage as they have a fairly hefty
> monthly charge and the ATA you get is locked to their system. Sipgate has
> in the past had a bit of a reputation for unreliability but they have
> improved considerably in recent months and I now use them almost
> exclusively with very few problems. Their overriding advantage is no
> monthly charges and pay as you go call charges to PSTN numbers. As with
> most VoIP companies calls to other users of the system (and usually other
> VoIP systems with peering agreements) are free, so if you can get most of
> your friends on the system you'll never have to pay to call them again..!
>
> Ivor

I have been using Freetalk for over a month now, you pay £6.99 but get
all local and national calls for free as long as the call does not go
over 59 minutes, you can ring back of course. the service as been great,
plus all the extras ie call waiting, there way calling included in the
price.

I'm using a Telewest 2 meg connection with four PC's networked and the
phone sharing the connection. System as very easy to setup just pluged
their bo into the back of my Wireless router and activated the account.

My Telewest phone line will cease on the 17th of July, saving me £11
plus VAT a month.

Bob

Solario

stephen wrote:
> "Databug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dTcsg.99945$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Wifey is looking into cable for cheaper phone costs. We hardly ever make
> > calls our calls bill for a quarter is less than £5 the rest is just line
> > rental. Cable seem to be cheaper line rental. Anyone have any experience
> > with cable? does it work out cheaper? Also for broadband Blueyonder seem
> > to be good. Is their service truly unlimited? Again any opinions on
> > either welcome.

> i am in an NTL area - we take phone / internet / digital TV.
>
> depending on which package you end up on the phone line has no rental (or
> more accurately it gets bundled elsewhere). At present i pay £25 for 4M
> internet, £28 for a TV package, £0 for phone, and get £9 or so "bundle
> discount". there are a couple of extra charges for voicemail etc.
>
> So you could keep a conventional line for incoming calls and send all
> outgoing over the internet....
>
> i suspect you can do better than this as a new signer - but it has been
> reasonably reliable, and simple. i have been using parts of the service
> since the Nynex days.
>
> however - some BT phone services are not there - no CPS divert codes /
> options for example (which i could otherwise use for work calls)
>
> > --
> > this post has been brought to you by the Databugİ

> --
> Regards
>
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - replace xyz with ntl

Add Vonage to the list. I am very happy with them.

S.

Ivor Jones

"bob garbutt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mJPsg.56642$(E-Mail Removed). uk

[snip]

> I have been using Freetalk for over a month now, you pay
> £6.99 but get all local and national calls for free as
> long as the call does not go over 59 minutes, you can
> ring back of course. the service as been great, plus all
> the extras ie call waiting, there way calling included in
> the price.

I'm a relatively low user so don't like paying for calls I'm not going to
use. I also intensely dislike the use of the word "free" to describe these
packages - the calls are *not* free, you pay so much a month for them..!
If you're going to make enough calls to justify the cost then fine, but
I've probably spent less than £10 on PSTN calls in over 18 months with
Sipgate, most of my calls are to other users of the system, which really
are free..!

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"Solario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com

[snip]

> Add Vonage to the list. I am very happy with them.

Amongst other things:

(a) their hardware is locked
(b) they have no peering with any other VoIP provider
(c) their monthly charge is excessive
(d) they have a very poor reputation for customer service
(e) it's very hard to cancel

Wouldn't touch them with a *very* long pole.

Ivor

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:45:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(a) their hardware is locked

Correct but the hardware cost only the shipping cost from the US or
you can buy your own in the UK at very little cost .
>(b) they have no peering with any other VoIP provider

SO
>(c) their monthly charge is excessive

Better to pay very LITTLE then have a very poor and unreliable
service for free .
>(d) they have a very poor reputation for customer service

Nothing wrong with their customer service at least they do provide a
free means of contacting them and you do not have go to the trouble of
typing emails and waiting for them to reply or returning from a long
weekends boozing expedition in the case of one provider who you love
to sing the praises of .
>(e) it's very hard to cancel

I had no problems canceling one phone call was all it took and a
months notice .

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh bob garbutt:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> "Databug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:_%rsg.102884$(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> Which of the VOIP companies would you recommend? I've
>>> heard of Vonage and Sipgate.
>>>
>>> Presumably there is a difference between companies such
>>> as Skype that offer software VOIP to the likes of Sipgate
>>> whose main aim is the hardware veriety.

>> Skype is a peer-to-peer computer application, you don't use it with
>> ATA's and standalone phones. There are USB adaptors available that
>> let you plug a phone in I believe but you still need a computer on
>> all the time. Personally I wouldn't bother with Vonage as they have a
>> fairly hefty
>> monthly charge and the ATA you get is locked to their system.
>> Sipgate has in the past had a bit of a reputation for unreliability
>> but they have improved considerably in recent months and I now use
>> them almost exclusively with very few problems. Their overriding
>> advantage is no monthly charges and pay as you go call charges to
>> PSTN numbers. As with most VoIP companies calls to other users of
>> the system (and usually other VoIP systems with peering agreements)
>> are free, so if you can get most of your friends on the system
>> you'll never have to pay to call them again..! Ivor
>>

> I have been using Freetalk for over a month now, you pay £6.99 but get
> all local and national calls for free as long as the call does not go
> over 59 minutes, you can ring back of course. the service as been
> great, plus all the extras ie call waiting, there way calling
> included in the price.
>
> I'm using a Telewest 2 meg connection with four PC's networked and the
> phone sharing the connection. System as very easy to setup just pluged
> their bo into the back of my Wireless router and activated the
> account.
> My Telewest phone line will cease on the 17th of July, saving me £11
> plus VAT a month.
>
> Bob

I've had 14 months of free calls for a grand total of six Euros, though
now have to pay ten euro a quarter.

The extras you described aren't included in the price, they are part of
the voip system / device and therefore there is no cost, you get them
all free no matter whether you pay £10 per month for a VoIP provider or
like Sipgate £0 per month.

Your £7/month is only paying for your inclusive calls, not for caller
display, call waiting etc which is part of the system.

If you make hundreds of calls per month then it may be worth it, for
many they are duped into thinking it's value for money, when for most it
isn't.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
> "Solario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
>
> [snip]
>
>> Add Vonage to the list. I am very happy with them.

> Amongst other things:
>
> (a) their hardware is locked
> (b) they have no peering with any other VoIP provider
> (c) their monthly charge is excessive
> (d) they have a very poor reputation for customer service
> (e) it's very hard to cancel
>
> Wouldn't touch them with a *very* long pole.
>
> Ivor

Many people are duped into thinking they are getting freebies in the
rental cost, when these are all part of VoIP and has no charge.

Also many people don't make the number of calls required to make these
services pay, yet they have to pay each month whether they make 200
calls or 2 calls.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk