Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype: Can you recommend a good headphone set an advise me?

Skype: Can you recommend a good headphone set an advise me?

KarlB

Hi all,

I was going to go with BT Broadband Talk but I read a lot of good
things about Skype. Can you recommend a good headphone set?

Also I take it there is no way to use a regular phone with Skype. Is
that correct?

I have one person I currently telephone in the USA on a daily basis,
sometimes over 2 hours a day. I currently use call18866.co.uk, but even
that gets a little pricey over time.

Are there any other VOIP option you can recommend that allows the use
of a regular telephone?

Thanks for any assistance.
Karl

Rich

If you want to attach a normal phone to a PC check out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-VOIP...QQcmdZViewItem

Use one myself - works fine in Skype and MSN. It basically just
converts your phone to a soundcard.

Rich

On 4 Jul 2006 22:11:38 -0700, "KarlB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was going to go with BT Broadband Talk but I read a lot of good
>things about Skype. Can you recommend a good headphone set?
>
>Also I take it there is no way to use a regular phone with Skype. Is
>that correct?
>
>I have one person I currently telephone in the USA on a daily basis,
>sometimes over 2 hours a day. I currently use call18866.co.uk, but even
>that gets a little pricey over time.
>
>Are there any other VOIP option you can recommend that allows the use
>of a regular telephone?
>
>Thanks for any assistance.
>Karl

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0627-0, 03/07/2006
Tested on: 05/07/2006 08:04:13

Sean

KarlB wrote:

Well, for a 2 hour call to the USA, it's cheaper with BTBBT than skype.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Sean:
> KarlB wrote:
>
> Well, for a 2 hour call to the USA, it's cheaper with BTBBT than
> skype.

With Skype being one of the dearest providers, that's not surprising.

http://paygmobile.at/seb For £38 total credit use referral 07962461234
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Brian A

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:55:36 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

>Thus spaketh Sean:
>> KarlB wrote:
>>
>> Well, for a 2 hour call to the USA, it's cheaper with BTBBT than
>> skype.

>With Skype being one of the dearest providers, that's not surprising.

Yes, don't waste your time and money on Skype - go for a proper Voip
set up. You can get an ATA quite cheaply now and use your standard
phones on it. Lots of providers to choose from. Why bother with Noddy
phone when you can have Superman phone
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Beds

Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is there?

Thanks

Sean

Beds wrote:
> Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is there?
>
> Thanks

No there is not.

Also, if you get a ATA in two locations, or a ATA and a softphone, or
two softphones (all of which are SIP compatable) then you can make free
VoIP calls between users here.

Skype allows you to call other Skype users for free... But SIP
computable open providers allow you to call other SIP users for free.

FWD, sipgate, voipfone, voipuser, voiptalk, gossiptel are just some of
top of my head

Ivor Jones

"Beds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is
> there?
>
> Thanks

No charge for calls on any provider if it is to another user on the same
system.

Ivor

Brian A

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:31:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Beds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com
>> Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is
>> there?
>>
>> Thanks

>No charge for calls on any provider if it is to another user on the same
>system.
>
>Ivor

..
Even more, no charge to most other providers either if you use
Sipbroker.
Sorry but I am a SIP VOIP snob...I've used Skype but I don't take it
seriously.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Wik Ed

On 4 Jul 2006 22:11:38 -0700, "KarlB" <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:

>I was going to go with BT Broadband Talk but I read a lot of good
>things about Skype. Can you recommend a good headphone set?

Skype to Skype is free anywhere in the world.

Skype headset
http://accessories.skype.com/item?SI...580&sku=SPRO04

watch for a line wrap.

It is great. Perfect sound. Instant integration with existing XP
audio and other software products.
The same Headset can be bought for 20GBP via eBay

>Also I take it there is no way to use a regular phone with Skype. Is
>that correct?

Not true. Such as this product
http://accessories.skype.com/item?SI...&sku=VOIP3211S
watch the wrap

There is no reason why you cannot install Skype + MSN + VoIP
from another provider and still use your BT landline and get the best
from all these providers.

Forget the closed minds. Skype is not a Disney product.
It works brilliantly. USB quality is as good as my Dect BT line.
The mono USB headset enables me to work and chat.
The Dect VoIP allows me to answer landline calls, and make
landline & VoIP calls too. This way I get the best methods of
talking with all people regardless of whether they are tech-heads,
landline tied, or simply PC home users.

Don't forget that you don't need a special headset or phone to try
Skype. A simple 2 GBP headset and a free download of Skype will let
you try the product with no commitment and not even a real name and
address. Just a working email address.
If you don't like it just Un install it.

Also check out
http://www.voipproducts.eu/
www.sipgate.co.uk
http://www.voiptalk.org/products/index.php
also look at this help screen
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Skype-How-...:-1:LISTINGS:2

and a big line wrap on the last link.

HTH answer your questions and points you at places that help you make
the choices that are best for you.

Wik Ed