Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > translation-rule question

translation-rule question

Steve Ames

My company has started working with a VoIP carrier to bring calls from our
various regions into our centralized call center. Here's today's problem:

The incoming DNIS is 10 digits. The call center software only understands 7
digits. That was peachy when it was operating in one geographical area but
now if you just drop the area-code (US) then there will be overlap as those
7 digits are no longer unique. Ick. The preferred solution is to gix the
call center software and we are working with our vendor on that. However. In
the interim I want to create a big map that will translate the incoming DNIS
so that the number that reaches the call center software _IS_ unique:

2025551212 -> 3100000
2125551212 -> 3100001
3125551212 -> 3100001
etc...

Seemed like a fairly straightforward concept. So I jump onto my trusky cisco
router (2651XM BTW) and notice that I can have like 2 billion translation
tables but each table can only have 11 rules. This seems a bit odd and seems
designed to make my life difficult as I just want one big table with a few
hundred rules in it. (Can you even apply more than one rule to an
interface?)

Is there a better way to do direct mapping (like the above)? I have a couple
hundred numbers that need mapping and there isn't any simple transform that
can be applied that will guarentee a unique number (that I've thought of).

Thoughts?