Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > ATA recommendation please.

Reply
Thread Tools

ATA recommendation please.

 
 
Wira One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2006
I have Linksys PAP2 right now but it won't allow me from calling/receiving
calls through my land line (NTL). Currently I have two DECT sets at my
house but this is confusing to the children/wife. Most of the time they'll
use the NTL line rather than VOIP set. I'm thinking of buying a Zoom
VOIP ATA 5805 which has so-called Teleport port. Will I be able to
make/receive call through my land line with this particular ATA? What is
the differences (if any) between the Zoom 5800 and 5805? Any other cheaper
alternatives other than this Zoom ATA? Any recommendation is really
appreciated.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2006
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:59:01 GMT, Wira One <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have Linksys PAP2 right now but it won't allow me from calling/receiving
>calls through my land line (NTL). Currently I have two DECT sets at my
>house but this is confusing to the children/wife. Most of the time they'll
>use the NTL line rather than VOIP set. I'm thinking of buying a Zoom
>VOIP ATA 5805 which has so-called Teleport port. Will I be able to
>make/receive call through my land line with this particular ATA? What is
>the differences (if any) between the Zoom 5800 and 5805? Any other cheaper
>alternatives other than this Zoom ATA? Any recommendation is really
>appreciated.

According to this page
http://tinyurl.com/k7dct
you can use it with PSTN and VoIP. The price is remarkably low
compared to the competition. Someone else might comment on how good
the device is compared to the Linksys/Sipura SPA-3000 which does a
similar job. Looking at the documentation on this page
http://tinyurl.com/hy5qw
it gives the impression of being rather featureless, compared to the
SPA-3000, but then the price is considerably lower.
The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
a good price.

I am not too sure how easy it is to use the unit with more than one
outgoing provider.

If you are on NTL, and can subscribe to 'broadband only', you might
consider dropping the landline totally. You could get an ATA that
would do 2 lines and let the kids have a line of their own.
Perhaps, if you decided to go down that road you could give it a dry
run before you had your PSTN line disconnected.


Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wira One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2006
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:

> it gives the impression of being rather featureless, compared to the
> SPA-3000, but then the price is considerably lower.
> The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
> a good price.


Thanks Brian, I have had the impression that SPA3000 is too expensive for
me before and that why I didn't take it into consideration at all. It
seems after Linksys taken over the brand from Sipura, it is now at an
affordable price.

> I am not too sure how easy it is to use the unit with more than one
> outgoing provider.


Well, I am on Voipstunt right now and rarely using my sipgate account to
make a call, as such, I will not miss the two line accounts feature that
my current PAP2 has.

> If you are on NTL, and can subscribe to 'broadband only', you might
> consider dropping the landline totally. You could get an ATA that would
> do 2 lines and let the kids have a line of their own. Perhaps, if you
> decided to go down that road you could give it a dry run before you had
> your PSTN line disconnected.


I'm on their value bundle, 50/month for 4Meg broadband, Family TV and
talk "unlimited" at the moment (been with them for 6 months now, another
half a year before I can drop the landline option).
 
Reply With Quote
 
hairydog@despammed.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2006
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I have Linksys PAP2 right now but it won't allow me from calling/receiving
>>calls through my land line (NTL). Currently I have two DECT sets at my
>>house but this is confusing to the children/wife.


A grandstream 486 has a PSTN input: incoming calls work through it and
toy can choose to make outgoing calls that way. However the volume of
an incoming pstn call is a bit low, and it doesn't pass through CLI on
calls from the pstn port.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wira One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:

> The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
> a good price.


Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it should
be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've around 200+ in
stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but .. the status is
still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh.. guess there must be a
sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike the Unshavable
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
Wira One <(E-Mail Removed)> writed in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:
>
>> The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
>> a good price.

>
> Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it
> should be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've
> around 200+ in stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but
> .. the status is still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh..
> guess there must be a sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000
>


Curious --- I ordered mine from broadbandbuyer.co.uk at about 9:15 am
Wednesday, put City Link next day delivery on it, and it arrived at about
2pm today (Thursday).
Paid by debit card, rather than credit card if that makes any difference
(it shouldn't)

Spent the afternoon configuring it to work with my DECT phones, BT PSTN
line, Sipgate on line 1, voip.co.uk on gateway 1, and voipfone on gateway
2 - finally got it all working at about 8:30 pm, including modifying the
regional settings to make it sound a bit more like a UK phone - thanks to
the voxilla forum.
 
Reply With Quote
 
WiraOne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
Mike the Unshavable <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns97F1DE6D020D4sifrancecomxxx@216.168.3.44:

> Wira One <(E-Mail Removed)> writed in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:
>>
>>> The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that
>>> is a good price.

>>
>> Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it
>> should be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've
>> around 200+ in stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but
>> .. the status is still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh..
>> guess there must be a sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000
>>

>
> Curious --- I ordered mine from broadbandbuyer.co.uk at about 9:15 am
> Wednesday, put City Link next day delivery on it, and it arrived at
> about 2pm today (Thursday).
> Paid by debit card, rather than credit card if that makes any
> difference (it shouldn't)
>
> Spent the afternoon configuring it to work with my DECT phones, BT
> PSTN line, Sipgate on line 1, voip.co.uk on gateway 1, and voipfone on
> gateway 2 - finally got it all working at about 8:30 pm, including
> modifying the regional settings to make it sound a bit more like a UK
> phone - thanks to the voxilla forum.


Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should

Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr E Mann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
"WiraOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97F1EA15F2B61wiraone2001yahoocom@80.5.182. 99...
> Mike the Unshavable <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns97F1DE6D020D4sifrancecomxxx@216.168.3.44:
>
>> Wira One <(E-Mail Removed)> writed in
>> news(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:
>>>
>>>> The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that
>>>> is a good price.
>>>
>>> Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it
>>> should be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've
>>> around 200+ in stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but
>>> .. the status is still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh..
>>> guess there must be a sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000
>>>

>>
>> Curious --- I ordered mine from broadbandbuyer.co.uk at about 9:15 am
>> Wednesday, put City Link next day delivery on it, and it arrived at
>> about 2pm today (Thursday).
>> Paid by debit card, rather than credit card if that makes any
>> difference (it shouldn't)
>>
>> Spent the afternoon configuring it to work with my DECT phones, BT
>> PSTN line, Sipgate on line 1, voip.co.uk on gateway 1, and voipfone on
>> gateway 2 - finally got it all working at about 8:30 pm, including
>> modifying the regional settings to make it sound a bit more like a UK
>> phone - thanks to the voxilla forum.

>
> Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
> PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
> Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should
>
> Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
> phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
> sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
> incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.


I got one from broadbandbuyer last week... it works great for voip calls,
and there is some excellent monitoring software out there and helpful guides
However, I disconnected it from my pstn, because even after setting all the
UK settings, it is very quiet on pstn calls.
OK, it confuses the mrs with two handsets... I'll try again one day with the
settings to try to sort out the incoming pstn volume, but until then
confusion will remain!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Kenyon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
WiraOne wrote:

>
> Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
> PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
> Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should
>
> Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
> phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
> sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
> incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.


The general plan to configuring an SPA 3000 appears involve beating your
head against the wall until it bleeds.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Kenyon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
Mr E Mann wrote:

>
> I got one from broadbandbuyer last week... it works great for voip calls,
> and there is some excellent monitoring software out there and helpful guides
> However, I disconnected it from my pstn, because even after setting all the
> UK settings, it is very quiet on pstn calls.


Have you tried changing the Gain settings in the International Controol
part of the PSTN Line configuration page?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best SIP ATA-1000 and SIP ATA-1100 with The lowest price!!! voxquick via HWKB.com VOIP 0 04-03-2006 12:24 PM
Comunications ATA 186 to ATA 186 (without any gatekeeper or CallManager) SoGo VOIP 1 03-12-2005 07:39 AM
Serial ATA HD And Ultra/ATA HD's In Same PC: O.K. ? Robert11 Computer Support 1 10-28-2004 10:14 PM
Ultra ATA/100 HDD on a Ultra ATA/33 motherboard Prinxce of Darkxness Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 05:36 PM
ATA 133 HD on a ATA 100 Board buffy Computer Support 2 12-23-2003 03:39 PM



Advertisments