Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > affect of adsl interleaving on voip

affect of adsl interleaving on voip

Peter Gradwell

hi

If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

thanks
peter

Jono

"Peter Gradwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4491a17e$0$658$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
>
> If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
> understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.
>
> I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
> wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

I'm lead to believe that BT will only enable interleaving as a last resort,
not by default - after all other avenues have been explored.

Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
> "Peter Gradwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4491a17e$0$658$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
>> understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

No, the ISP can choose to set the interleaving at:

automatic (exchange equipment decides based on performance)
on
off
whatever-it-was-before-the-migration

Obviously the last option is only available when you have a MAX customer
migrate to you when they were already on MAX with another ISP.

Carl Hibbard

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:05:53 +0100, Peter Gradwell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
>understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

I only gained about 20ms going from 15ms to 35ms but it did the job
reliability wise that is for sure

>I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
>wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

There aren't many hops to Gradwell from A&A but it hasn't affected my
voip link in the slightest here

HTH

John Beardmore

In message <4491a17e$0$658$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Gradwell
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>hi
>
>If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving,

Not always as far as I know. I had to ask for it anyway.

> which, I understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding
>upto 50ms.
>
>I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
>wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

Don't know that the purists class Skype as voip, but that works
well at
1056 down and 806 kbps up with interleave turned on.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

Philippe Deleye

"Peter Gradwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4491a17e$0$658$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
> wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

As far as I understand, the technique if interleaving is used to *increase*
the quality of the line. Hence very useful where (a) quality of your phone
line is sub-standard (too much noise) or (b) your connection is close to the
distance limit for ADSL.

The down-side is of course a latency increase. If the ISP has set the
interleave value at 16ms (in each direction), the total latency increase is
32ms for the first hop. This should not affect the VOIP quality at all.
Actually it should *increase* VOIP quality for many users on a low qulaity
or too distant ADSL line ...

Note - You can test if interlevae as been set on your conncetion: just ping
and measure the first hop: if it is under 20ms, interleaving is disabled. If
it is above 35ms, interleaving is enabled.

rgds
Philippe (Belgium)

googlegroups@wilsonhughes.co.uk

Peter Gradwell wrote:
> hi
>
> If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
> understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.
>
> I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
> wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?
>
> thanks
> peter
>
> --
> peter gradwell. gradwell dot com Ltd. http://www.gradwell.com/
> -- engineering & hosting services for email, web and voip --
> -- http://www.peter.me.uk/ -- http://www.voip.org.uk/ --

Hi Peter

I had interleaving on my line for about a week and with a Dreytek Vigor
2600VG router, VoIP was quite seriously affected. So how you would be
affected might depend on your hardware.

Apart from the obvious continuous latency, dependent on how many errors
your router is experiencing and therefore correcting, you might have a
situation where the latency varies significantly during the call
(jitter).

The result is a rather jumbed sound with pops and crackles.

Newnet charged my 7.05 to have interleaving turned off permanently
and the problem went away. I was experiencing about four million
corrected errors a day with interleaving turned on.

Chris

hairydog@despammed.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
>understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

That's not the case in my experience. When we switched to ADSLMax, it
was left in Fast mode, and pings were around 15ms. However, we don't
have a very good line (BT reckoned it was only good for 500k at first)
and now it is running at a bit over 3Mb with interleaving enabled.
It's rock solid like that, and pings are 20ms.

Doesn't seem to have affected VOIP at all, but of course the faster
uplink makes ADSL Max much more useful for VOIP.

Of course, we didn't get our ADSL from BT!

hairydog@despammed.com

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:27:28 +0200, "Philippe Deleye"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Note - You can test if interlevae as been set on your conncetion: just ping
>and measure the first hop: if it is under 20ms, interleaving is disabled. If
>it is above 35ms, interleaving is enabled.

Not true. My connection is interleaved (at least the router status
says it is) and the first hop is lower than that:

From the router status:

DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave

From tracert:

2 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms gandhi-dsl1.wh.zen.net.uk [62.3.83.5]

David Mahon

In article <44924f50$0$28398$(E-Mail Removed)>, Philippe Deleye
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Note - You can test if interlevae as been set on your conncetion: just ping
>and measure the first hop: if it is under 20ms, interleaving is disabled. If
>it is above 35ms, interleaving is enabled.

It's on for me (it helped) and the first hop outside my house is 30ms.

--
David Mahon