Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > What Codec For Best Quality Audio?

What Codec For Best Quality Audio?

Phil

I have just set up my Zoom X5V with Sipgate works great now I've added an
ADSL filter between it and the phone as it wasn't ringing on incoming calls
at first. Anyway I was wondering what codec to use to obtain the best
quality audio. I have a choice of G.711u, G729 and G7.11a.
Thanks in advance.

Ivor Jones

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:448ca3e2$0$1230$(E-Mail Removed)
> I have just set up my Zoom X5V with Sipgate works great
> now I've added an ADSL filter between it and the phone as
> it wasn't ringing on incoming calls at first. Anyway I
> was wondering what codec to use to obtain the best
> quality audio. I have a choice of G.711u, G729 and
> G7.11a. Thanks in advance.

In order, G711a, G711u (although there's not a lot to choose between them)
and G729.

For tests please feel free to call my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043
1320). Note that due to firmware limitations it will cut off after 30
seconds, nothing I can do about it, sorry..!

Ivor

Phil

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In order, G711a, G711u (although there's not a lot to choose between

them)
> and G729.
>
> For tests please feel free to call my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043
> 1320). Note that due to firmware limitations it will cut off after 30
> seconds, nothing I can do about it, sorry..!
>

> Ivor

Hi Ivor, many thanks for the info, I've set up my router with the codecs in
that order. Thanks for the speaking clock worked well. Good on ya for
setting it up.

Graham.

> For tests please feel free to call my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043
> 1320). Note that due to firmware limitations it will cut off after 30
> seconds, nothing I can do about it, sorry..!
>

> Ivor

Ms Simmons is sounding in good form today Ivor!

I would say about 6dB louder than last time I tried.

Is it my imagination, or have you tweaked her?

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:448dd476$(E-Mail Removed)
> > For tests please feel free to call my speaking clock on
> > 1431320 (020 7043 1320). Note that due to firmware
> > limitations it will cut off after 30 seconds, nothing I
> > can do about it, sorry..! Ivor

> Ms Simmons is sounding in good form today Ivor!
>
> I would say about 6dB louder than last time I tried.
>
> Is it my imagination, or have you tweaked her?

No, nothing changed at this end. Maybe they've been doing some tweaking at
Sipgate..?!

Ivor