Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > Your employer is paying for the equipment and
>> > bandwidth; what makes you think you are entitled to any
>> > degree of privacy whatever whilst using it for purposes
>> > unrelated to your employment..?

>> Well, my employee handbook specifically states that
>> during my lunch, break, before and after work, and during
>> other appropriate times (as determined by my immediate
>> supervisor) I may use company phones for non-billable
>> calls, and use the company PC for personal activities, as
>> long as those activities do not interfere with corporate
>> activities.

>Well good for you, but don't assume that everyone else worldwide has those
>rights.

I don't -- I expressed sympathy for those who don't.

>By the way, who do you think is paying for all this..?

Actually, I am.

When we get to use phones and computers for non-job-related activities,
it's to help keep our employees happy.

When our entire on-site group comes in on a weekend, without pay,
because we're backlogged, it's to help keep our customers happy. We do
it because we, as employees, are satisfied.

>Ask your customers
>if they're happy to fund your off-duty activities.

What cost do our customers (or does my employer) pay when I make a local
call from my office phone on my lunch break, or when I surf the web
either during off hours? (and before you answer, be aware that we had
an unmetered DS3 at the old location, and unmetered T1s now until we can
get a DS3 into this office)

--
In case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

Ivor Jones

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> > > Well, my employee handbook specifically states that
> > > during my lunch, break, before and after work, and
> > > during other appropriate times (as determined by my
> > > immediate supervisor) I may use company phones for
> > > non-billable calls, and use the company PC for
> > > personal activities, as long as those activities do
> > > not interfere with corporate activities.

> > Well good for you, but don't assume that everyone else
> > worldwide has those rights.

> I don't -- I expressed sympathy for those who don't.

I don't want or need your sympathy.

> > By the way, who do you think is paying for all this..?

> Actually, I am.

No, your customers are, in the money that they pay you to do work for
them. Remember work..?

> When we get to use phones and computers for
> non-job-related activities, it's to help keep our
> employees happy.

Good for you.

> When our entire on-site group comes in on a weekend,
> without pay, because we're backlogged, it's to help keep
> our customers happy. We do it because we, as employees,
> are satisfied.

Good for you. I work for money.

> > Ask your customers
> > if they're happy to fund your off-duty activities.

> What cost do our customers (or does my employer) pay when
> I make a local call from my office phone on my lunch
> break, or when I surf the web either during off hours?
> (and before you answer, be aware that we had an unmetered
> DS3 at the old location, and unmetered T1s now until we
> can get a DS3 into this office)

So the income from your customers doesn't fund these lines..? Where does
the money come from, then..?

Ivor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>45
>
>"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Ivor Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> I don't -- I expressed sympathy for those who don't.

>I don't want or need your sympathy.
>
>> > By the way, who do you think is paying for all this..?

>> Actually, I am.

>No, your customers are, in the money that they pay you to do work for
>them. Remember work..?

It's 7:43am, I've spent 7 hours working today. I intend on putting in
another 4-8 hours before sleeping, and likely another 4-8 after that,
depending on when I get to bed and when I get up again.

>> When our entire on-site group comes in on a weekend,
>> without pay, because we're backlogged, it's to help keep
>> our customers happy. We do it because we, as employees,
>> are satisfied.

>Good for you. I work for money.

Again, if that is all you get out of your job, my condolences.

I enjoy my job, the money is just a nice bonus. In fact, I've been
doing this job with this company since before I was hired by
participating in the company's public mailing lists (performing
everything from support to QA duties, although far more informally
before I was being financially compensated)

>> > Ask your customers
>> > if they're happy to fund your off-duty activities.

>> What cost do our customers (or does my employer) pay when
>> I make a local call from my office phone on my lunch
>> break, or when I surf the web either during off hours?
>> (and before you answer, be aware that we had an unmetered
>> DS3 at the old location, and unmetered T1s now until we
>> can get a DS3 into this office)

>So the income from your customers doesn't fund these lines..? Where does
>the money come from, then..?

Sure -- But since we need them for business purposes, we've got 'em.
Using the excess capacity for non-business purposes doesn't cost anyone
any additional money.

So again, what cost do our customers (or does my employer) pay when I
make a local call from my office phone on my lunch break, or when I surf
the web either during off hours? (And again, we're unmetered -- Our
monthly bills are the same whether the lines sit idle, or they are
utilized)

--
"I think women and sea men don't mix"
-- Smithers, Simpsons

Ivor Jones

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> > > When our entire on-site group comes in on a weekend,
> > > without pay, because we're backlogged, it's to help
> > > keep our customers happy. We do it because we, as
> > > employees, are satisfied.

> > Good for you. I work for money.

> Again, if that is all you get out of your job, my
> condolences.

Stop feeling sorry for me, I keep telling you I don't want or need your
sympathy.

> > So the income from your customers doesn't fund these
> > lines..? Where does the money come from, then..?

> Sure -- But since we need them for business purposes,
> we've got 'em. Using the excess capacity for non-business
> purposes doesn't cost anyone any additional money.

While they are not being used for business purposes, they are losing
money. A plane sitting on the ground rather than in the air carrying
fare-paying passengers is not generating revenue, neither are your lines
unless you're using them for work.

> So again, what cost do our customers (or does my
> employer) pay when I make a local call from my office
> phone on my lunch break, or when I surf the web either
> during off hours? (And again, we're unmetered -- Our
> monthly bills are the same whether the lines sit idle, or
> they are utilized)

Well good for you. But if they're not being utilised for business
purposes, they are effectively losing money. Which your customers will end
up paying for, one way or another.

Regardless of any of the above, let's get back to the original question,
that of privacy of personal communications over business systems. I don't
care if your employer gives you free phone calls, internet access or
both - if you're using them for personal use at work, you are *not*
entitled to privacy on them. If you are using equipment that does not
belong to you, then the owner of that equipment is entitled to know what
it is being used for, and to know what is being transmitted/received.

Don't like it..? Don't use business equipment for personal use.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>> > So the income from your customers doesn't fund these
>> > lines..? Where does the money come from, then..?

>> Sure -- But since we need them for business purposes,
>> we've got 'em. Using the excess capacity for non-business
>> purposes doesn't cost anyone any additional money.

>While they are not being used for business purposes, they are losing
>money. A plane sitting on the ground rather than in the air carrying
>fare-paying passengers is not generating revenue, neither are your lines
>unless you're using them for work.

But unlike a plane, which costs money to carry passengers, our lines are
there whether they're begin utilized or not. The costs are the same
either way.

>Regardless of any of the above, let's get back to the original question,
>that of privacy of personal communications over business systems. I don't
>care if your employer gives you free phone calls, internet access or
>both - if you're using them for personal use at work, you are *not*
>entitled to privacy on them. If you are using equipment that does not
>belong to you, then the owner of that equipment is entitled to know what
>it is being used for, and to know what is being transmitted/received.

In the case of my employer, law doesn't grant me any privacy. Where I
live (which is a different jurisdiction), the law does grant me some
privacy. Throughout much of the developed world, you have a lot more
rights.

*shrugs*

Either to their own.

--
In Jolt We Trust

Ivor Jones

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> But unlike a plane, which costs money to carry
> passengers, our lines are there whether they're begin
> utilized or not. The costs are the same either way.

No. The lines cost money to rent. Therefore your company makes less money
when they are not being used. So if they are being used for private
purposes, they are effectively losing money.

> > Regardless of any of the above, let's get back to the
> > original question, that of privacy of personal
> > communications over business systems. I don't care if
> > your employer gives you free phone calls, internet
> > access or both - if you're using them for personal use
> > at work, you are *not* entitled to privacy on them. If
> > you are using equipment that does not belong to you,
> > then the owner of that equipment is entitled to know
> > what it is being used for, and to know what is being
> > transmitted/received.

> In the case of my employer, law doesn't grant me any
> privacy.

Exactly. And if you remember, the OP was asking if their *employer* could
listen in while they were using *work* equipment.

Ivor

tracy

Glamour marketing group

Dear my best friend,

TAIWAN Glamour marketing group.
http://www.GMG888.com

http://www.gmg888.com/catalog/index.php

I'd like to offer you an ideal business opportunity!!

We are one of specialized and rapidly developing maufacturer of

USB Skype phone
Web Cam

USB Card reader

Flash Card

iPod accessories

MP3 & MP4 Player

Mobile phone accessories

and are enjoying an excellent reputation through Eight year's business
experience.

Company Outline:

1.We providing global buyers and supplies with expert services,
including
Product information collection
Market analysis
Procurement
Product design
Packaging and marketing
Translation
O.E.M & O.D.M

2. Excellent qualities,Competitive Prices,Satisfied Service, Experience
and efficiency.

3. We are also very pleased to act as an Internation Purchasing Office
for you:

provide the service as below: Q.C, Purchasing, Shipping, Information
,ect

Best Regards

Tracy

E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

MSN: (E-Mail Removed)

Skype: Glamour-Marketing-Group

http://www.GMG888.com

Williams Williams is offline
Junior Member

What about me,i use imcapture. com IMCapture for Skype.It's prog for record audio and video calls.I like this simple prog.